Close

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    That makes no sense on how we get gradient colors from a section of one color than a section of another. There must be a melt zone inside the palette 2 to create these gradual colors. The nozzle does not mix UNLESS multiple filaments go into the hot zone together. That is the only way we can achieve new colors is by mixing the filaments. not a binary red than yellow then red. Because we will see red and yellow and red in our prints rather than orange. Because nozzles hold a very tiny amount of filament and surely not enough to mix sections of filament. Not even the diamond hotend has a melt zone that big.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So I decided to mount the MMU2S on the gantry so the PTFE tube going to the extruder can be as short or shorter than it is on the Prusa MK3 with the MMU2S. But I do not want the 5 PTFE tubes to exit the rear of the printer. This can cause interference issues with the heat bed. So I designed this bracket to orient the mmu perpendicular to the gantry..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    palette 2 doesn't mix colours.
    I had a good look at their website and it's just a multimaterial machine, like the mmu2 but cleverer (and I suppose, potentially more to go wrong) :-)

The machine is starting to look impressive !
    What's it going to be called ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    i don't know yet. But it is so not a Tevo Black Widow anymore. I will think of something. So all this talk about the palette 2 and the mmu has given me an idea. But one that i am not capable of completing by myself. I am no master at writing code or programming. And i struggle with it. But i can physically build one large format printer with a palette 2 being fed by 4 MMU2S units for a total of 20 filaments into one hotend. But i wouldn't know where to start for controlling software. But i sure can design build and wire it.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I need financial backing to flesh out some of my bigger ideas. Can you imagine the palette 2 + 4 MMU2S units? that is almost $2k right there.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So after the afternoon with this thought I am left wondering if it is possible to just daisy chain MMU2S units. like 6 MMU2S units. 5 feeding one that feeds the extruder. 25 filament potential. All controlled by one mainboard. This setup would require careful planning and building to keep all PTFE tubes as sort as possible. But how awesome would that be? all different types and colors of filaments. That should open the playing field on what we can make with our printers.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well, it would probably make more sense to build a spool handling machine instead. Plus can you imagine how slow a 6 mmu setup would be ? Also a lot to go wrong.

I guess if you had enough space and a large cabinet to put everything in, it might work. But I reckon I could probably change a spool faster than 6 mmus could get filament to the actual hotend :-)

The man to talk to is the guy who builds all the bizarre machines for duet 3d. That guy is an engineering genius.
    He's also proved that the duet board family can handle just about any printer configuration conceivable by man. Plus iof you used a duet board, they'd probably help with all the programming :-)

You'd need to be using amf files and some kind of specially customised slicer.
    Good luck :-)

If you really want to kix things uop - why not go with an idex system, and link mul;ti mmus to each head :-)

Actually I'm surprised you haven't gone down the idex route yet. would seem the natural next step up in the evolution of the Brazillian Huntsman (worlds most venomous spider, and one of the most aggresive).
    Or 'Brian' as I can't help thinking of it ;-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-07-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I think or at the very least hope I am going to seriously impress you when i am done with this printer. The MMU2S is slow when it is printing out a wipe tower behind the item it is printing. But when it is using wipe to infill it is notably faster. The high quality linear guides are also all about turning up the print speed. As with the 2 stepper motors for each axis. And the shorter PTFE tube from hanging the unit off the gantry will also help but not as much as connecting everything to a 32 bit controller and running the MMU2s off of marlin 2.0. It will also run on 24v. This MMU2S should behave a little different than the rest. But time will tell. I will post videos as I chase print speeds with it. I have been against Idex because it is only 2. Just a single step above the most basic of 3d printers. 3 with mixing or 5 in my mind are the minimum standard we should demand here at the end of 2019. But the thought of an idex with each extruder being linked to an MMU2S is a powerful idea. And thank you for that, CA. But I have to see this MMU up and running first. I still have absolutely no experience with this Prusa MMU2S. It just looked real cool and like something I wanted to try. I need to assess for myself whether the MMU2S is good or bad for me.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-07-2019 at 05:20 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    ...Or an idex with 2 diamond hotends. 2 independent sets of mixing extruders. That might lead to some cool creations.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    You'd need to be using amf files and some kind of specially customised slicer.
    I will only play with open source. Custom slicer to me sounds very much like a software that will stop receiving updates at some point. But open source promises I can just go find another software that is properly maintained. Even as businesses and trends rise and fall. We should all be very cautious about setups that run 'custom' firmware or slicers. Typically printers built with this tech resell on ebay for dirt cheap. There is Absolute Beauty and Perfection in Mainstream Open Source. Can it run repetier? Can it run simplify3d? Can it run Prusa Slicer? Can it be run by octoprint/Cura?

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast