Close

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Still printing parts out for these. I have a few ailerons left to print and then the vertical stabilizers. Here is the assembly line..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Still wrapping up green, but my air force is just about complete..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what are you going to use for launching ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I was considering building the slingshot out of pvc but lets just be honest here. I drive a Corvette. If i am able to fit myself and the rc aircraft in my car that in itself will be a small miracle. I sure wont be fitting a large pvc triangular structure in the car. So I am making some perches to affix the aircraft to my 1/10 scale redcat buggy and I am gonna drive the aircraft up to speed with the buggy, then hit the juice on the EDF and hopefully the aircraft will power into flight. Or that is the working idea, anyways. Brushless upgrade is on the way for the buggy.

If that works you HAVE to get video of that launch process !

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    If that works you HAVE to get video of that launch process !
    Oh there will be high quality video uploaded to youtube where it can stay high quality and links will be provided. I am all over that. In the meantime, I have hung 5 spools of filament above my Black Widow for faster filament changes. Just grab the color you want and plug it into the modded titan aero..

How's the airforce coming ?
    You flown one yet ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So it has been a while. I have detailed so many hardware modifications to my Black Widow printer but I have not kept up on the software end. If you guys can believe I have been running marlin 1.1.0 on all 3 of my machines. Also I have been running an older version of Arduino and I even had old firmware in my MKS TFT touchscreens. As much as I always liked the alternate firmware I had loaded in these screens it was an older firmware. So I have been setting up 3 copies of marlin 1.1.9 for each of my printers and I have updated the firmware in the TFT touchscreens with a win8 theme and I turned up the speeds a bit. Here is a short video of my Black Widow's new print speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCg4gqGRbmY&t=48s

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I know the above speed might not look extreme but the heated bed is 400mm x 250mm. It is a heavy Y axis. And I have started to have a skipped step issue on larger prints after I get a bit of plastic laid down on the bed. Only on Y. No layer shift on X. I am already running at 24v but I am running the silent TMC2208 drivers and I have the high precision 0.9 degree stepper motors. There are better options for both drivers and motors that will help with this issue but I really like printing with fine detail and doing it quietly. I have an idea on a new direction. I already converted the Z axis on this printer to use 2 motors. So I am familiar with the setup and changes in marlin that need to be made. So why not? Just replace the front idler pulley with a second stepper motor. So first we need to choose the stepper motor we want to use..

To use a regular size stepper motor would require me to raise the whole frame or cut a hole in my table so this will get a pancake stepper motor for the front. Now that we have selected which motor we are going to use the next step is to create a motor mount to hang off the front of the frame. Go rapid prototyping..

The other thing we need for this is a stepper driver. But that is a bit of a tricky situation because the MKS GEN 1.4 mainboard has 5 stepper driver sockets and I have 2 being used for Z so all sockets are occupied. So this project will require the use of an expansion board to go along with the driver..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    To make this all look like it belongs I chased down the right parts. I got a black genuine E3D titan aero stepper motor, a black drive pulley, and black m3 x 7mm screws..

The way I hooked this up required no changes to marlin. There is a header next to each stepper driver socket that is a breakout for the Arduino pins that drive that socket. I connected this expansion board to the appropriate pins on the header next to the driver for the Y axis. And this whole mod is plug 'n play. Here is someone else's instructional video on making these connections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIChqkEAuto&t

And here is my completed 2 motor Y axis..

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast