Close

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Alright. Well that was a little messy. The clear plastic sheeting does not cut so I had to use the Dremel to make the 6 plates. But it is done and here is my clear slightly larger filament buffer.. And here is one of the plates from Prusa set over my buffer to illustrate how much larger my buffer is. Just a little bit..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I have no idea what I'm looking at - just see a black plate ?

So how on earth does that work ?
    every time you show a bit of the mumu it seems to get ever more complicated :-)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So there is a long ptfe tube that runs from the MMU2S down to the extruder. Every time the mmu wants to change filament it must pull the filament out of this ptfe tube and feed it back towards the spool. But if it unwound the spool we would see that in our prints as the spool hit points of load, or worse the filament might unspool and come off the spool. So this buffer gives the rewound filament a place to go without unraveling the spool. I re made mine in clear so i can see the filament inside doing its thing. This short video shows both the filament backing up into the buffer and also it shows my intended setup. I mean to hang all 5 spools on the wall just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDeXqmv8rII

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Alright so i am moving on all axes and i go home like i am supposed to and my heaters heat and i am almost there. Up next i need to pid autotune both the bed and extruder. Then i gotta figure out how to get the MMU2S to do its thing. Or maybe i need to understand what things it is supposed to be doing in the first place. lol. I am chasing the curve. The printer looks awesome..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook

Okay that makes sense.
    I mean it's hellishly over complicated - but it does make sense.
    What were your objections to the mosaic again ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I think the best objection to that I heard from you. The idea of trying to glue a 1.75mm dia. filament to another filament and how some filaments don't melt to other filaments so well. So the mosaic is really more of a multi color than a multi material when we think about it. But the MMU2S is extremely versatile. It will work with any 5 filaments so long as they are the same diameter. crying about heat up and cool down times at each layer is still the print happening, ya know? But when we are sticking filament to filament we don't get to work with a lot of combinations and are limiting ourselves right out of the gate. The MMU2S is about as good as we are gonna get without separate extruders that can be held at temp and a toolchanger. Which requires a lot more money, space, and power. From where I stand the MMU2S is a powerful contender in the multi material arena. Here are my first 2 prints. They were printed with the LV8729 stepper driver for the extruder set at 1/32 micro stepping. With the 0.9 degree e3d stepper motor this brings me to 1674 steps per mm of filament movement. I still have to try 1/64 and 1/128 micro stepping for the E. But look at the surface of these benchy's, man..

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I made an account on Thingiverse and shared all my .stl files. I am calling this the Multi Widow: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4048939

okay - but you know me, I'm all about speed :-)

Can it print fast and accurate ?

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    As far as accuracy goes I am on genuine HIWIN guides as you know with 4 cars under the bed and 2 on each end of the gantry and 2 for X I am using a lot more power per print i am sure from all the preload. With the printer homed and the steppers energized I can grab the bed or the extruder carriage and move the whole printer around and vigerously without forcing a single skipped step just because of 2x locked steppers per axis. And the 0.9 degree stepper motors paired with 1/64 and 1/128 micro stepping the 32 bit controller is commanding 1256 steps per MM of movement on X and Y, 1600 steps per MM on Z, and the extruder I currently have set to only 1/32 microstepping and it is getting 1674 steps per MM. So I am accurate and have the capability for speed. I just need to get things turned up. So far I have been printing the wall mount spool holders with my new machine and I am impressed. Still haven't hooked up the MMU2S. gotta get these spools mounted first.

Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast