Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Makerware with the Flashforge

I've installed the Makerware software, but can't seem to get it to talk to the printer, what's the trick?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Billzilla View Post
    I've installed the Makerware software, but can't seem to get it to talk to the printer, what's the trick?
    the makerware background service probably didnt start, did you try starting it manually from the menu option?

it's the one redeeming feature that leads me towards it rather than replicatorG. If Replicator G crashes, your print does too. If makerware crashes, it doesnt stop printing because the background service takes care of the printing.

Yep, that simple.
    Thanks yet again - I'll eventually run out of daft questions mate.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I never print direct to the printer. SDcard only for me.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    @Bill no worries, keep em coming

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    I never print direct to the printer. SDcard only for me.
    I used to be the same, as I was fearful that if my PC crashed or replicatorG did I'd lose my print. Then I started using makerware which allows you to get over that fear, but also allows you to queue prints up..

One funny thing I have noticed, Makerware Gcode cannot be read by replicatorG, But, it does work from the SD card. I have also found that the SD card prints perform significantly differently than printing from the PC (don't ask me why, I have no idea) but speeds seem different and so does the over all printing which shouldn't be different at all considering it's the same GCode, it is a puzzling one.

I am so new to this and I hope I am posting in the right place, I just installed makerware 2.4 ( I believe it is for windows 7), I have a FF pro, I know this sounds so stupid but I printed a test cube and it came out good, so I am assuming that the set defaults are good, however I am trying to lower the temp, and tried to create a profile and it will not let me, also how does it know which extruder to print from? left or right, I am so confused, plz help. thanks

Super Moderator
    You need a program called Profitweak to make and edit profiles. Well you can do it without, but it involves editing some lengthy JSON code.

With makerware settings you should be able to change the temps under the settings box, then there are a few tabs for filament diameter, print layer height, build plate temp, print speeds and extruder temps.

If your cube printed fine then I wouldn't mess with the temps. Just start printing a few things and see how they come out. Start out with some small stuff then make some bigger things. It really is a trial and error process learning 3D print, just have to try things and see how they come out.

Extruder 0 is the right extruder when looking at the front of the machine. That is the default but can be changed. For example, I completely removed the left extruder(1), stepper motor and associated wiring to reduce the weight of the print head. I highly recommend this if all you are doing is single color extrusions.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    to pick the extruder just click on the object and go to the bottom option on the left hand side of the screen.
    You can choose which extruder to use from there (can't currently remember what it's called).
    At the moment I just use the left extruder as the right nozzle got blocked and I haven't put it back yet.

Also if you make a custom profile - be aware that makerware ignores all current settings resest everything. So don't assume that the settings you've just set will carry through to nthe custom profile - they won't. I've found them to be more hassle than they're worth. Also you can't load a custom profile and then tweak quality/speed or temps. That's just stupid right there.

ALso if you switch from direct print to export to sd - it changes the speed settings, so check them again.
    It's stupid little things like this, that stop it being a great piece of software.

That said I've never felt any real need to mess with anything but the standard: temps/quality/speed. I'd like to change first layer settings but couldn't figure out how even with proftweak.

So until i can use a different piece of software - makerware does the job and for the most part, does it quite well.

makerware and flashforge

will makerware, allow you to design another object while one is printing? or do you have to wait for print end to change object on the mat? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    the makerware background service probably didnt start, did you try starting it manually from the menu option?

it's the one redeeming feature that leads me towards it rather than replicatorG. If Replicator G crashes, your print does too. If makerware crashes, it doesnt stop printing because the background service takes care of the printing.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmurf View Post
    will makerware, allow you to design another object while one is printing? or do you have to wait for print end to change object on the mat? thanks
    Yes, if you always print to SD card to can do whatever you want in the makerware software. I think I have had my printer connected to the computer like 2 times since I had it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast