Close

Student

Bree Pettis = Steve Jobs of 3D Printing

Does anyone else feel that MakerBot CEO Bree Pettis really has a chance to be the Steve Jobs of 3D printing? I just think that he has the personality and love for 3D printing that could make him a special guy in the 3D printing age. I certainly think that the MakerBot printers are the "cool" printers to own, like another forum poster said in another thread.

MakerBot is starting to become the "goto" printer for people that are just starting out in the field, and want something that they know will be simple to operate and have great tech support. I think in 5 years we will see special things and plenty of innovation from Pettis and MakerBot.

Wow, you really have to join the MakerBot Google Group and do some research. The people who have received their Gen 5 printers are having tons of problems with the new printers. Sure, the MakerBots are cool but only after you have spent many hours and lots of money modding them. It seems like each generation gets released with serious issues and it is up to the 3D Community to resolve them on their own? They are great after you get finished de-bugging them though. Bre is a great speaker and cheerleader and I always enjoy listening to his enthusiastic presentations.

Well you can compare em in the way that Iphone and makerbot are both sold due a hype, and not due the capacities it has, Also simple quiet overpriced for what it is, when you compare it with other brands.

Not that it are bad printers, neither are Iphones, But you can get more for the money.

/edit John was just a bit faster ha :P

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by JMK View Post
    Does anyone else feel that MakerBot CEO Bree Pettis really has a chance to be the Steve Jobs of 3D printing? I just think that he has the personality and love for 3D printing that could make him a special guy in the 3D printing age. I certainly think that the MakerBot printers are the "cool" printers to own, like another forum poster said in another thread.

MakerBot is starting to become the "goto" printer for people that are just starting out in the field, and want something that they know will be simple to operate and have great tech support. I think in 5 years we will see special things and plenty of innovation from Pettis and MakerBot.
    LOL.

It almost feels like this is a post from Bre in disguise....

Bre is so far from Steve Jobs it's not funny.

Steve Jobs INVENTED things.. We have things now, if not for Steve jobs simply would not exist. Here, Bre took a pre-existing design (that was nearly older than he is) and improved it - and now seems to already be falling behind in quality. He also possesses very little ability to sell his product when questioned in a critical manner. Every interview where the reporter is on the positive side, he does fine - but he absolutely sucks at arguing the importance of them, instead always falling back on his company slogans and predictable marketing ploys to turn the conversation around.

If he wasn't so unbearable, I probably would have bought a makerbot

I don't really see it. If anything I see him more of like a Bill Gates. Steve Jobs innovated. Pettis hasn't really surprised me yet with any new innovations. He just took a RepRap and started to sell it.

Engineer
    i have to agree with all you guys. i just dont see it. the one thing i do agree with from the op is "MakerBot is starting to become the "goto" printer for people that are just starting out in the field". this is true because its a well marketed product not because it good and people just starting out in the field dont know any better and have not researched anything. makerbot is a very household name in 3d printing. you hear the name over and over so a noob thinks it must be good. they also charge a crazy price for it so that right there makes people think its better as well. as the others said, steve jobs innovated and made products that work.....mostly
    Last edited by jimc; 04-20-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Sounds like you people are of the opinion that Pettis is a Snake Oil salesman. I don't know enough to comment, but give him his due, he's getting 3D printing into the minds of the great unwashed.

Someone has to get the technology from the lab to the sales counter. Remember the TRS-80 and Commodore 64? They lead the way to iPads, Tablets, and dare I say it, mobile phones.

If he makes a few bucks out of it, good luck to him. You've always got to pay the ferryman.

Old Man Emu

Who's Bre Pettis!?!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by frederick78 View Post
    Steve Jobs innovated.
    If you want the innovator, talk to the other Steve.