Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seal a print?

Seal a print?

I have a DLP SLA printer and have designed a specific mouthpiece for a musical instrument like a recorder or whistle.

However, all of the resin manufactures I have emailed say their resin (even when cured) is not food safe and should never be put in the mouth.

Is there something I could dip the mouthpiece in (or at least the part that will be in the mouth) to completely seal it and make is safe to put in the mouth?

I see that there are polyurethanes to seal wood, would that work? Or maybe a quick dip into silicone..?
    Last edited by 3DPiper; 02-07-2017 at 09:18 AM.

How about making silicon molds from your print then casting that in a resin that is safer? I've only done very basic silicon molds, and not very well at that, but I think with some practice and the right equipment this would also allow you to make a better end product.

https://youtu.be/iRj6xzNx7P4 looks like a nice video showing the process. I'm guessing a mouth piece would need to be done in 2 parts due to the internal structure.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Poly for wood is NOT food safe. The only truly food safe wood finish is a Mineral oil and beeswax blend.

Silicone will not hold up as a mouthpiece. The outer layer would have to be too thin to make the piece usable, and it would wear down too quickly.

They do make a food safe Epoxy resin. Make a mold and cast your mouth piece in that.

silicone would not be for the mouth piece. it is a flexible mold material. You cast in resin. See the video.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I do Silicone molds myself. I know what YOU meant. The OP asked if dipping it in silicone would be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    I do Silicone molds myself. I know what YOU meant. The OP asked if dipping it in silicone would be a good idea.
    Oops. Yep, you are correct. I guess I skimmed over his dipping idea.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    You can either have it printed in foodsafe PLA on an FDM printer, Shapeways ceramic is foodsafe as well which can be a nice option. Otherwise use your SLA printer for a mother model and create food grade epoxy castings from a silicone mold, as Marm suggested.

If you could find the resin used by Invisalign, then you would have a product that has been certified for oral applications. They SLA customised dental retainers for correcting your teeth, and have established a successful business.

http://www.invisalign.co.uk/en/Pages/Home.aspx

Rich

Thanks for the info guys!

Making a mold would be very difficult. This specialty mouthpiece has several air passages instead of one (think: cooling passages for a car engine). I would have to re-design it to anticipate each air passage being cut in half for a mold. Not impossible, but would have to start all over.

If I was able to actually make a mold, the material I would like to cast would need to be very hard and dense, like delrin/acetone. Is delrin castable? Or is there something similar?

I'm hoping to do everything in-house as much as possible.

Finding non-toxic resin would be ideal, but so far I have no found any. Dipping just the part that will be in your mouth in some food-safe non-toxic sealer would also work if it is hard. Marm is correct: teeth would quickly tear through the silicone coating. Hmm.. Maybe heat-shrink?
    Last edited by 3DPiper; 02-10-2017 at 08:50 PM.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Check out smooth-on, they make a variety of mold and casting materials.

Molded pieces can be cast in 1 piece, they don't have to be split in half.

Here's a link to a video where a fellow turner is making food safe tankards, and using food safe epoxy to line them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2oQVK-F3g&t=7s There's a link in the description to the epoxy. And I get about 32,00 results, most of which are applicable, to a google search.

I've chewed through more SCUBA mouthpieces than I can count. If it's a soft rubbery material on top of a hard plastic, it will fail. And the glues in standard heat shrink are pretty toxic if swallowed. I've never seen dual material mouthpieces for anything I can think of. It's either designed to bust some teeth if chewed on and last forever, or it's designed to be soft, replaceable, and eventually fail. For a musical instrument, which requires specific airflow patterns, and the repetition over a long time period of those patterns, you should probably make a bust-a-tooth style mouthpiece.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast