Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems with first layer using ABS

I have a Flashforge Creator Pro and on the front of the bed (closer to the door) it seems to print better than towards the back of the bed. I am having an issue where the first layer won't come out in all parts of the print. Once it makes it to the second layer all seems fine. Is my print bed to close to the extruder? This is using ABS if that matters and using the right extruder.

Technologist
    Yes, it sounds like the front of your bed is slightly too close to the extruder. Try re-running the leveling routine and see if things improve.

Quote Originally Posted by noiseboy72 View Post
    Yes, it sounds like the front of your bed is slightly too close to the extruder. Try re-running the leveling routine and see if things improve.
    I ran back through the leveling process and things seem to be better, but may need a bit adjusting still.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Did you level the bed with it heated to at least 70-80c? There is some metal expansion that happens when heated and it tweaks the level a bit. So if it is level cold, when heated it can throw it off some. When leveling always heat the bed, but leave the extruder cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Did you level the bed with it heated to at least 70-80c? There is some metal expansion that happens when heated and it tweaks the level a bit. So if it is level cold, when heated it can throw it off some. When leveling always heat the bed, but leave the extruder cold.
    Hello again JFKansas, I did not level the bed with it heated. I will have to try that. I didn't think about that being an issue. Appreciate the feedback.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Important notes about leveling also. After you have leveled it hot, don't check level when it is cool, it will make you want to level again when cool, but will be off again when hot. You will get into a "chasing tail" scenario.

Only level above the 3 adjusters, don't check the middle. The middle will always be a little lower due to gantry sag and this is normal.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I am still pretty new to 3D printing and still learning.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also it helps t heat the extruder as well, as that is also subject to thermal expansion.

I find it easier to remove the filament before levelling, otherwise the minimal ooze can stick to your paper/card and cause minor issues.

So basically you level the bed under the same conditions and temperatures that you print with. You have to bear in mind that you are dealing with really small measurements.

Couple of things to bear in mind for first layer.

If there are areas where it does not print, then it's usually because the head is too close to the bed and the filament cannot squeeze out.
    So lower the bed a 1/4 turn of the level knob at a time till it prints.
    Also change the speed of the first layer print - in your slicer - to around 10-20% of the full print speed. The slower you print the better it will generally stick to the bed.

I find that on bigger prints, quite often half the print time is taken up with the first layer. But it's worth it as it sets a solid and secure base for the rest of the model to print on and you can consequently print the other layers that bit quicker.

I will give that a try.

Unfortunately the Slicer (Flashprint) I am using doesn't have the option to slow the first layer speed like you said. I may be getting Simplify3D soon though.

I have sens got it to print great after leveling the bed again.

Thanks Aardvark for the comments.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Justin,

Have you tried the slicer Cura? Its a very good slicer considering it's free

Regards,
    3DEX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast