Close

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    So Irma blew by ... ... So I lost the print anyways but this counts as a test of my backup system and it kicked in and worked flawlessly and the printer never missed a beat. We got our power on today. Still no internet/cable and bad cell phone reception in areas. I am on the east coast of South Florida. In Broward County.
    Glad you came thru Irma ok. My friend in Delray Beach also was ok. I use to live in Deerfield Beach, so I know about these storms, no fun.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
    Glad you came thru Irma ok. My friend in Delray Beach also was ok. I use to live in Deerfield Beach, so I know about these storms, no fun.
    Ya man. I hail from Pompano Beach. We just got our cable and internet back today. Life is getting back to normal. There is still a lot of downed trees, big trees, everywhere. But we got is easy compared to a lot of people. We are very grateful that we are recovering so quickly.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what do you do with all the benchies ?

Have to admit i have never done a benchy or any of the other calibration prints. I tend to just print things I want, or small practical items for give aways.
    Just don't see the point of wasting plastic on something that won't tell me anything that a practical item won't.

To test a 0.2mm nozzle it would have to be something very small with fine detail - or why bother using such a small nozzle ?

Any idea what those cable connectors are called ? I keep finding that the things I am searching for only seem to exist under a very specific nomenclature, invariably not what I am using :-)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I just keep re printing the same test print making adjustments and printing the same thing again..

I have printed this same boat so many times. Here are some earlier prints from some of my other machines..

The ones in the back row show just how far I have come. They taught me to not just have a layer fan but to pay attention to how and where it is aimed. among other things. And you are totally right. The smaller diameter nozzle and shorter layer heights are for fine detail and they come at a heavy price of time to print. That is why I have multiple printers. The 200x200x180 printer has a .2mm nozzle, The 300x200x200 has a .3mm nozzle, And the 390x250x400(I think?) has a .4mm nozzle. All nozzles are plated and high lubricity micro swiss. They are the only nozzles I will run anymore. The cost of them makes me feel like they are of a very high quality, lol.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    And on a side note, the color of the painter's tape really adds to the look of my navy. makes them look not so much like dry dock. And that is just one more argument for using the 3m blue painter's tape, I think.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    In the picture with the green, black, and red boats the black boat on the right was printed at 0.025mm layer height with a 0.2mm nozzle. And at 40 layers per mm of build height the lines on the roof of the boat are all but gone. While everyone else is trying to chemically melt their prints to make the lines diminish. I know a better way.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 09-16-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    At this point I can not deny that for me the joy that comes in this hobby is upgrading the printers. That is why I love 3d printing. How crazy is that? So anyways, back on page 4 of this thread I upgraded the mainboard on my GEEETech i3 to a MKS Base 1.5 board. At the time my concern was getting to use that 3.2" color touchscreen and I didn't understand how bad of a thing integrated stepper drivers are..Today I have chased down tmc2208 drivers for my other printers and this is by far the loudest machine I have. So to make this a machine that can print quietly there are a few things that must happen. First we must get this printer to run off of 24v. Because the tmc2208 drivers have ample holding torque in stealthchop2 at 24v. So here is the new 24v power supply..I setup my stepper drivers a little different than most. I haven't had any fail on me yet but I have observed that they do get hot. So I like to hunt down some 8 pin tall stackable Arduino headers and some extra stepper driver heatsinks, the tall ones, and I setup my tmc2208 drivers like this..This way the temps at the stepper drivers are lower. And now the new MKS GEN L board is ready for installation. This should be pretty close to a direct swap for the base 1.5 board. I think they both even use all the same connectors.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So with the two boards next to each other we can see before we even begin that the base board has a slightly larger footprint than the Gen L board. This will likely mean that the mounting holes will not line up and I will have to drill a few new holes in my GEEETech frame..The nice thing is that since both boards are mks' latest architecture I didn't have to change any connectors and everything just plugged right in. everything was even in pretty much the same place on both boards. So despite the drilling that had to take place this was by far the easiest board swap I have done yet..I have also already changed all 3 fans on this printer to 24v and will change the heater cartridge to a high precision e3d ceramic heater and I will resolder the heatbed to the 24v points on the underside of the bed. This printer will be back online real soon.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 07-04-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    The 24v power supply is in and the new mainboard with tmc2208 drivers is in. the next step for my prusa i3 here is to do something about that mk8 extruder. I am not a real big fan of direct drive. I like the 3:1 gear reduction that the titan and titan aero offer. Without spending any more money here I have amassed a wealth of extruder parts..

Time to see if I have what I need to get a titan aero(clone) up and going on my GEEETech i3 pro B from 2016.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    So here is the titan aero in mockup with the mount and layer fan..I still have to design and print a Z sensor mount and then get all this mounted to the printer. It matches perfectly my other 2 printers now. Down to the noctua fan..

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast