Close

Administrator

How the "Muslim Ban" is Affecting the Tech Sector

On January 27, Donald Trump signed an Executive Order that has since become known as the Muslim Ban. Its issuance was immediately met with fierce opposition and there are no signs that disgust with it receding. One group that has been particularly vocal in its rejection of the EO is the tech sector, which finds many of its workers directly affected immediately and worries about longer-term impacts on its ability to remain competitive in the global market. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/163678/trump-ban-impacts-mfg/

It's known as the "Muslim Ban" by liberals (read: Democrats). It's been met with fierce opposition by liberals (read: Democrats). Tech sector not liking it (read: Democrats)... Can you say H1-B (i.e. bringing it cheap labor from overseas to take American jobs)? I thought so. I get that you're an administrator but still....... How about keeping the politics out of a 3D Printing site????

Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    It's known as the "Muslim Ban" by liberals (read: Democrats). It's been met with fierce opposition by liberals (read: Democrats). Tech sector not liking it (read: Democrats)... Can you say H1-B (i.e. bringing it cheap labor from overseas to take American jobs)? I thought so. I get that you're an administrator but still....... How about keeping the politics out of a 3D Printing site????
    ssayer... I agree. But what I'm struggling to understand is how this has anything to do with 3D-Printing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I agree politics needs to be kept off the site - ssayer, this also means you.

I agree 100%, I was simply not letting the OP's post stand as it was since it obviously won't be removed. I am more than happy to stay completely away from politics here.

Author is just looking for a way to meet her click quota, so just picked a controversial topic even if it has barely any connection with 3D printing. Fail, back to your desk, try again.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    The fact that an administrator posted it gives you the full right to comment on it and I agree.

The action is not a ban it is a stay until a reasonable vetting process can be instituted on certain foreign countries and an indefinite stay on Syrian refugee's. A recent poll in the US found that 57% support the action. If EU wants them let them have them.

As far as an impact to technologies, we share more tech with India than we do with any of the 7 countries listed on the action.

Nothing political just facts.

Can we stick to issues about the technology? There is no way a temporary stop to immigration from these countries will result in the complete collapse of 3D printing as a technology. Stick to the stories about the technology, which readers are really interested in, and leave the political nonsense somewhere else.