Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Usually about 1.4mm and 50mm/s

Super Moderator
    Thing is you shouldn't be retracting there anyway.

Super Moderator
    I was more wondering about in general for ABS.

Engineer-in-Training
    What i am wondering about is looking at the top layer on that abs part. Not so much the gear teeth as those are weird to fill depending on thier size but the flat section looks under extruded.

Super Moderator
    The flat part is actually the bottom. I think this thing was over extruding a lot. I have reduced from 1 to .9 and I think I am making progress. I think the edges area combination of over extrusion and curling. So adding the fan to cool a bit. Using the right extruder the fan is less direct.

Engineer-in-Training
    Ah that explains it a little. If it's over extruding back off the multiplier. I am with JK on the retraction shouldn't come into play here but that is a well known issue around dialing in the all metal hotend from what I was able to gather from the other forums. The cooling issue I learned a while back with ABS. some parts with small features like that like about 60% fan on them. Because you are enclosed you can get away with more fan than those with a large makeshift or no enclosure.

Super Moderator
    Here is an update on this issue.

In the attached pic you can see the curling at the ends of the gear teeth. This is causing the issue I am having.

How can I solve this?
    Again, it is ABS and Micro-Swiss all metal hot ends.

[IMG][/IMG]

Super Moderator
    What I find interesting is the model on the right side isn't doing that. Or is it doing it also but that side is cropped off?

My thoughts are still cooling and overhangs. It looks better than what you were getting before doesn't it? Lower layer heights help cooling, thinner layers cool faster, and they also help overhangs by having lest step from the previous layer.

Super Moderator
    It is definitely an improvement. Your suggestions along with some input from Micro-Swiss has helped.
    I agree on heat. I am now running the bed at 90 to start and dropping to 80 on this run to see how it goes. Also running the fan after a few layers.
    Running at 2000mm/min. I think too slow on print speed on the layer and the nozzle has to much time at any one spot.

I haven't tried a thinner layer yet. I am thinking to remove the top to let some heat out. Overall warping is not really an issue not is adhesion.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Ya you shouldn't have issues with warping on small parts like that. Heat dwell "might" be an issue but additional cooling should help that. It's all about getting that previous layer solid before the next layer hits it. I print all my small parts pretty slow because even if you set the speed to 100mm/s there isn't enough travel distance to get above say 10-20mm/s. So knowing that you might as well just print at 20mm/s, but travel speed can be higher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast