Close

Administrator

3D Printed Camera Rig Allows Disabled Photographer to Continue Work

Young photographer James Dunn had more challenges than most when working in his chosen medium. Afflicted with epidermolysis bullosa, a genetic disorder that causes his skin to be extremely fragile, Dunn was unable to operate the various controls of his camera or even press the shutter button unaided. Jude Pullen, award winning design engineer and member of the crew on Big Life Fix, worked to design a 3D printed camera rig and accompanying app called Zocus that allows Dunn to control the zoom and focus on his SLR camera through a smartphone or tablet. The steps for creating the rig have been released in a detailed Instructables tutorial. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/161526/3d-printed-camera-rig/

Tributes have been paid to the brave and brilliant fundraiser, campaigner and photographer James Dunn who has passed away at the age of 24.
    James, from Whiston, had Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB), a group of genetic skin conditions which cause the skin to blister and tear at the slightest touch. Sufferers of EB are sometimes referred to as having “butterfly skin” due to their layers of skin often being as fragile as the wings of a butterfly.
    He had been courageously battling skin cancer for a second time and underwent a partial amputation of his left arm earlier this year. He died in Whiston Hospital in the early hours of Saturday morning, surrounded by his beloved family – mum and dad Lesley and Kenny, sister Gemma, 29, and her husband, Kieren, 30.
    Dad Kenny fought back his tears to tell the ECHO: “James, our beautiful, funny, brave son and brother – we were very blessed to have had you for so many wonderful and happy years. You made our lives the best we could have ever hoped for.

Courageous photographer James Dunn has asked the people of Merseyside to keep him in their prayers as he undergoes an amputation today.
    James, 24, from Whiston, recently launched a £500,000 campaign to help find a cure for his deadly skin condition – and, shortly afterwards, revealed he was battling cancer again.

Now he explains: “After the last operation in November everything was going so well. The tumour on my left hand had been removed and I’d been given the all clear. Then three weeks into recovery I found a few suspicious growths on my hand. Another biopsy confirmed that it was cancer.

“I suppose the real reason I want this doing is because I want to get back to LIVING life. I love my trips abroad and my photography but for the last five months I’ve been stuck in hospitals. All I want is a break. A break from ‘the big C’ so that I can continue crossing things off my bucket list.”
    James has Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB), a group of genetic skin conditions which cause the skin to blister and tear at the slightest touch – sufferers of EB are sometimes referred to as having “butterfly skin” due to their layers of skin often being as fragile as the wings of a butterfly.

James, meanwhile, is determined to raise as much money as possible for the #FightEB Appeal.
    Late last year he said: “Time has probably run out for me, but I want every other person being born into this world with EB to get to their 24th birthday and know they have another 30 or 40 years ahead of them – not like me, getting to my 24th birthday and knowing it might be one of my last.”
    Though he added: “I am too young to pass away with this condition and I don’t want to. I want to fight and beat EB.”

OMG! It is such a sad story, what a pity that talented people suffer from terrible diseases. Diseases limit their development and the creation of something new and unique. But, despite all the problems, James Dunn was able to find a way out of this situation and continued to do what he loved. He was a good photographer and at the moment there are many groups on social media dedicated to James Dunn and his difficult life. For many people, he became a source of inspiration and helped them to change their lives and find their own path in life. It is very difficult to realize that James Dunn is not the only person with such problems, there are thousands of them and each of them has its own story, full of pain and suffering.
    Last edited by JasmineCampbell; 04-13-2021 at 04:54 PM.

This sounds like a big break for amateur shooting cheap. I think that this rig is also suitable for phones.

Despite the fact that it is now possible to print the camera rig on a 3D printer, this does not mean that it can completely make life easier for photographers. Moreover, it is unlikely to have at least some demand. I hope that such innovations will have a broader meaning, if I may say so. For example, if we are talking about cameras, then why not make some addons for ajax cameras, for example? I mean, rain shelters or something. In any case, the post is certainly interesting. Thank you for writing it!