Close

Help needed to reverse X axis and set extruder MM's per inch

Hi,

First time poster.

At the urging of a friend I purchased an inexpensive Prusa clone from Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/262562441022...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Darn thing is Quite addicting....

Built it got it working pretty well but had a lot of issues with the extruder. I purchased a E3D V6 hot end and Titan extruder and printed the prusa carriage with the Mk8 setup before tearing it down.
    I also upgraded the z axis couplings from plastic tubing and new linear bearings since the OE ones had a lot of slop.

Everything is all mounted up and I was setting bed height and found the X axis is reversed. I found where I can change the Extruder turns per MM on the LCD display, but cant for the life of me figure out how to reverse the X axis travel
    If I have to dive into the firmware level should I also consider upgrading the firmware. My printer has this controller board http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIQU-GT2560-...IAAOSwMVdYInww

Thanking for any pointers/advice in advance

Jeff Krebs

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    It's not clear what controller board is used on that printer or if the motor connectors are keyed. If the connectors aren't keyed, you should be able to reverse a motor direction by flipping around the plug for that motor at the controller board.

Printbus,

Thanks for the reply. That is an elegant solution. If it's keyed, I will modify it.....

The print board is a BIQU GT2560 by Geetech I believe

No Joy, Pins are off center in the plug, working on a pin ejector, failing that the soldering iron.

Bummer. If you have a soldering iron, you likely also have a multimeter. All you should have to do is reverse the connections for one winding. So, probe the contacts going to the motor to see which are winding pairs, and pick a pair to reverse.

Did you make any other changes that you haven't mentioned? Nothing you did should have caused this problem to appear... You made no firmware changes, no change in the slicer or host software?

I'm not familiar with that particular board or where the motor connections are.

On a lot of the connector types used on 3d printers, there's just a small plastic tab holding the contact in place, and carefully lifting the end of that tab up with a very small flat screwdriver or tip of an xacto type knife allows you to pull the contact out.

Yes I have a multi meter, and I'll double check the coils. I think a glasses screwdriver will get the pins out. I have a spare motor cable and will mark it as reversed. They are JST style connectors which are much used in the RC hobby for battery balance connections.

The axis reversal is self inflicted as the new X axis carriage has the belt path inverted from the OE unit.

The Titan Extruder has a different filament drive and a 3:1 gear ratio.

Ahhh, Flipped 1A and 1B on X axis and motor just oscillates. also fried my Y axis driver with a test lead.

Got it!

My wife corrected my color blindness and i flipped the X and Extruder motor rotations by flipping one phase of the motor. On the MM's per inch I can adjust the extruder from the LCD panel, unfortunately I have to do this each time I power up else I have to go down the route of re engineering the firmware which I may do in the future.

The E3D hot end and Titan extruder are a quantum leap better than the clone Mk 8 extruder that came with my cheap printer.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm back to printing stuff.

Jeff