Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by pochrist View Post
    This is shot in the dark as I have not had to deal with USB / Com port resources issues for a while (until I got my 3D printer in December). I have no experience with Kinect or the software your trying to use. But way back when 20+ years ago during system builds it was wise to check which Slot on the main board you plug into, does this USB Card use PCI or PCIe slots? Many times the bus paths on the main board will cover multiple ports and slots and if you where to plug into a slot that also shares your Video Bus (for example) you could end up with a conflict or problem when both devices on the same bus are in use. It could explain why the verification software will Pass, but when you go to use it it has a fault (it may be choking when it needs to get exclusive access to the resources on the bus). Just for the hell of it you could try the Main board USB ports (if their are any USB 3.0 ports on it) sure can't hurt, if you get something other then a gray screen it could shed some light on the problem. If you have the manual for the main board it will tell you what ports and slots share the same buses.
    The motherboard has a single PCIe slot, which I am using for the USB 3.0 card. The built-in USB 3.0 ports actually give the same response as the card: the Verifier tool is able to recognize the port as being supported but having unknown bandwidth, and then it is able to actually receive 3d video data at 30 FPS. Meanwhile, 3D Scan gives a gray screen for both.
    If my motherboard just can't handle it, that's too bad, but the Kinect isn't even turning on when 3D Scan runs. Maybe 3D Scan gets to the stage of unknown bandwidth and just gives up.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    which version of windows are you using ?
    Sounds like a typical windows 10 bug.
    Given that windows 10 has more bugs than working compoonents.
    Try using windows 7 - 100% stable and easier to shut off updates - the prime cause of buggering things up.
    If you have to use a microsoft app store app (always dodgy) then try and get windows 8 - NOT 8.1
    The app store runs happily on 8, but causes a lot of issues in 8.1 and 10.

Sounds like you've covered any hardware issues, so the most likely cause would be software and windows 10 is currently the most unstable os on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    which version of windows are you using ?
    Sounds like a typical windows 10 bug.
    Given that windows 10 has more bugs than working compoonents.
    Try using windows 7 - 100% stable and easier to shut off updates - the prime cause of buggering things up.
    If you have to use a microsoft app store app (always dodgy) then try and get windows 8 - NOT 8.1
    The app store runs happily on 8, but causes a lot of issues in 8.1 and 10.

Sounds like you've covered any hardware issues, so the most likely cause would be software and windows 10 is currently the most unstable os on the planet.
    Unfortunately, 3D Scan requires Windows 10. It's the reason I "upgraded" from Windows 7.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    worth trying on 8, pretty much all the stuff from the app store runs on that as well as 10.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    worth trying on 8, pretty much all the stuff from the app store runs on that as well as 10.
    I went back to the app page to check, and you are right: 3D Scan will run on Windows 8.1. While I was there, I skimmed through the comments again, and noticed on that I had missed before. The grey screen can be caused by setting your camera privacy settings too strongly. I went into my camera settings and allowed 3D Scan to use my camera, and was able to get the app to connect. Yay!

Now to see if I can actually scan something.

That's great, way easier then blowing out the system and installing a new OS.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12