Close

Need Help Choosing a 3D Printer

Hello. I am looking at purchasing a 3D PLA printer in the next 3-5 months and am looking for some help in choosing the right design. I have been researching 3D printing for quite awhile and am looking to buy a printer as a hobbyist.

The requirements I am looking for are as follows:
    - PLA Printer
    - Prints to at least 100 micron layer thickness
    - Preferably dual extruder
    - Affordable filament (non proprietary is a bonus)
    - Printer that requires few upgrades to operate well for at least one year
    - Few hardware issues
    - Good software package a plus
    - Works with Mac OS (preferred, I can bootcamp if necessary)

I do not have any experience with CAD, so I will be printing already completed renders. I am mainly looking to print thingiverse designs, and other interesting CAD files. I do want the ability to tinker a bit with print settings. The budget I am looking at is about $1,000 to $1,500 (not including filament). I prefer a decent bed size to print objects, but if a mini-size printer is significantly better in my budget I would consider purchasing it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Printer-Extruder-Plastic-Enclosed-Filament/dp/B00HTO5IFM/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1397569727&sr= 1-1&keywords=wanhao+duplicator+4x
    http://www.amazon.com/FlashForge-Pri...VMDA19FWRXAZH6
    http://www.amazon.com/DEKOTA-PRINTER...eywords=wanhao

Aint sure about the last two tho, never realy heard that much about em,
    But Wanhao seems to be quiet good, but you should perhaps do more research on em before buying, for any bad reviews/good reviews.

Hello,

I have a reprap protos v2 printer and i can really recommend it. It's a german printer, with a sturdy steel frame. Prints very nice; you have to build it yourselve though, but this is certainly do-able. you need to be able to read german though, at least in the beginning of the year there were no englisch translations. You could look it up on the net if you're intertested.
    Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Hello,

I have a reprap protos v2 printer and i can really recommend it. It's a german printer, with a sturdy steel frame. Prints very nice; you have to build it yourselve though, but this is certainly do-able. you need to be able to read german though, at least in the beginning of the year there were no englisch translations. You could look it up on the net if you're intertested.
    Good luck!!
    Why didnt i know that a half year ago! :P
    Might have bought that instead of my Makerfarm, not that the makerfarm is bad! But it doesnt feel as sturdy in my opinion, quiet some vibirations and could always be faster!
    The money ive paid for shipping and custom fees well i could have done that in a better printer,

Even tho i must say, If i have a choice today i would get another 100 euro and get a ultimaker 1 kit over the protos, as i feel you get more bang for buck, and it has simple more to offer.
    Also Protos kinda depends where you live, If you live in Europe it can be a nice buy, But in the US or somewhere overseas, well its the same like i had for Makerfarm, nice printer, But high shipping rates and custom fees.
    I thought that i had to pay like 283 dollars to get it here, wich makes me think, if i shouldnt have bought something better in the EU, wich wasnt at the time, atleast for under 1k (So if i had a second choice and never bought the makerfarm, i would have done the ultimaker)

Thanks. The FlashForge and Duplicator 4 both look like good options. Any recommendations between the two? The Dup4 is slightly more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Thanks. The FlashForge and Duplicator 4 both look like good options. Any recommendations between the two? The Dup4 is slightly more affordable.
    I would personaly research or ask a few users from our forums what the pro and cons are,

We have a flashforge Forum so you can ask someone there perhaps: http://3dprintboard.com/forumdisplay...ashForge-Forum

Btw there is a Duplicator 4x now aswell: http://www.amazon.com/Printer-Extrud...+duplicator+4x

Its a chinese device, some can be great, some are awfull, do enough research to determine if its worth the money

Ah yes, that's a serious concideration indeed. Pitty it has to be that costly to import overseas. Some firm should buy several so the price could drop, but ok. Thanks for sharing that dr Luigi. And Brian, very much luck to you, it's worth it to carefully consider all possibilities before buying! Building yourself does have some advantages, not in the least you become an instant expert of your printer...

Good fortune for everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Ah yes, that's a serious concideration indeed. Pitty it has to be that costly to import overseas. Some firm should buy several so the price could drop, but ok. Thanks for sharing that dr Luigi. And Brian, very much luck to you, it's worth it to carefully consider all possibilities before buying! Building yourself does have some advantages, not in the least you become an instant expert of your printer...

Good fortune for everyone!

Well there will probably be some shops depending where you live that have em,
    They will cost more though, depending on how much the customs would ask.