Close

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    I tried enabling Manual Bed Leveling and disabling ABL in the configuration.h file, but the printer behaved exactly the same: jumped through 9 positions on its own and stopped. The .h file compiled and uploaded ok, but I must have not added/removed the // properly. Can you tell me what it should look like?

Manual Bed Leveling ===========================//================================================== =========================

//#define MANUAL_BED_LEVELING // Add display menu option for bed leveling.
    //#define MESH_BED_LEVELING // Enable mesh bed leveling.

#if ENABLED(MANUAL_BED_LEVELING)
    #define MBL_Z_STEP 0.025 // Step size while manually probing Z axis.
    #endif // MANUAL_BED_LEVELING

#if ENABLED(MESH_BED_LEVELING)
    #define MESH_MIN_X 20
    #define MESH_MAX_X (X_MAX_POS - MESH_MIN_X)
    #define MESH_MIN_Y 20
    #define MESH_MAX_Y (Y_MAX_POS - MESH_MIN_Y)
    #define MESH_NUM_X_POINTS 3 // Don't use more than 7 points per axis, implementation limited.
    #define MESH_NUM_Y_POINTS 3
    #define MESH_HOME_SEARCH_Z 4 // Z after Home, bed somewhere below but above 0.0.
    #endif // MESH_BED_LEVELING

//================================================== =========================
    //============================ Bed Auto Leveling ============================
    //================================================== =========================

// @section bedlevel

#define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE // Delete the comment to enable (remove // at the start of the line)
    #define DEBUG_LEVELING_FEATURE
    #define Z_MIN_PROBE_REPEATABILITY_TEST // If not commented out, Z-Probe Repeatability test will be included if Auto Bed Leveling is Enabled.

#if ENABLED(AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE)

// There are 2 different ways to specify probing locations:
    //
    // - "grid" mode
    // Probe several points in a rectangular grid.
    // You specify the rectangle and the density of sample points.
    // This mode is preferred because there are more measurements.
    //
    // - "3-point" mode
    // Probe 3 arbitrary points on the bed (that aren't colinear)
    // You specify the XY coordinates of all 3 points.

// Enable this to sample the bed in a grid (least squares solution).
    // Note: this feature generates 10KB extra code size.
    #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID

#if ENABLED(AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID)

#define LEFT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 0
    #define RIGHT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 265
    #define FRONT_PROBE_BED_POSITION 0
    #define BACK_PROBE_BED_POSITION 280

#define MIN_PROBE_EDGE 10 // The Z probe minimum square sides can be no smaller than this.

// Set the number of grid points per dimension.
    // You probably don't need more than 3 (squared=9).
    #define AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID_POINTS 3

#else // !AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID

// Arbitrary points to probe.
    // A simple cross-product is used to estimate the plane of the bed.
    #define ABL_PROBE_PT_1_X 15
    #define ABL_PROBE_PT_1_Y 180
    #define ABL_PROBE_PT_2_X 15
    #define ABL_PROBE_PT_2_Y 20
    #define ABL_PROBE_PT_3_X 170
    #define ABL_PROBE_PT_3_Y 20

#endif // AUTO_BED_LEVELING_GRID

// Offsets to the Z probe relative to the nozzle tip.
    // X and Y offsets must be integers.
    #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -33 // Z probe to nozzle X offset: -left +right
    #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -0 // Z probe to nozzle Y offset: -front +behind
    #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -1.6 // Z probe to nozzle Z offset: -below (always!)

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_HOMING 4 // (in mm) Raise Z axis before homing (G28) for Z probe clearance.
    // Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case.

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 8000 // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min.

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING 5 // How much the Z axis will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
    #define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 5 // How much the Z axis will be raised when traveling from between next probing points.
    #define Z_RAISE_AFTER_PROBING 5 // How much the Z axis will be raised after the last probing point.

#define Z_PROBE_END_SCRIPT "G1 Z10 F12000\nG1 X15 Y330\nG1 Z0.5\nG1 Z10" // These commands will be executed in the end of G29 routine.
    // Useful to retract a deployable Z probe.

//#define Z_PROBE_SLED // Turn on if you have a Z probe mounted on a sled like those designed by Charles Bell.
    //#define SLED_DOCKING_OFFSET 5 // The extra distance the X axis must travel to pickup the sled. 0 should be fine but you can push it further if you'd like.

//If you have enabled the Bed Auto Leveling and are using the same Z Probe for Z Homing,
    //it is highly recommended you let this Z_SAFE_HOMING enabled!!!

#define Z_SAFE_HOMING // This feature is meant to avoid Z homing with Z probe outside the bed area.
    // When defined, it will:
    // - Allow Z homing only after X and Y homing AND stepper drivers still enabled.
    // - If stepper drivers timeout, it will need X and Y homing again before Z homing.
    // - Position the Z probe in a defined XY point before Z Homing when homing all axis (G28).
    // - Block Z homing only when the Z probe is outside bed area.

#if ENABLED(Z_SAFE_HOMING)

#define Z_SAFE_HOMING_X_POINT (((X_MIN_POS + X_MAX_POS) / 2)-20) // X point for Z homing when homing all axis (G28).
    #define Z_SAFE_HOMING_Y_POINT (((Y_MIN_POS + Y_MAX_POS) / 2)-20) // Y point for Z homing when homing all axis (G28).

#endif

// Support for a dedicated Z probe endstop separate from the Z min endstop.
    // If you would like to use both a Z probe and a Z min endstop together,
    // uncomment #define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP and read the instructions below.
    // If you still want to use the Z min endstop for homing, disable Z_SAFE_HOMING above.
    // Example: To park the head outside the bed area when homing with G28.
    //
    // WARNING:
    // The Z min endstop will need to set properly as it would without a Z probe
    // to prevent head crashes and premature stopping during a print.
    //
    // To use a separate Z probe endstop, you must have a Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN
    // defined in the pins_XXXXX.h file for your control board.
    // If you are using a servo based Z probe, you will need to enable NUM_SERVOS,
    // Z_ENDSTOP_SERVO_NR and SERVO_ENDSTOP_ANGLES in the R/C SERVO support below.
    // RAMPS 1.3/1.4 boards may be able to use the 5V, Ground and the D32 pin
    // in the Aux 4 section of the RAMPS board. Use 5V for powered sensors,
    // otherwise connect to ground and D32 for normally closed configuration
    // and 5V and D32 for normally open configurations.
    // Normally closed configuration is advised and assumed.
    // The D32 pin in Aux 4 on RAMPS maps to the Arduino D32 pin.
    // Z_MIN_PROBE_PIN is setting the pin to use on the Arduino.
    // Since the D32 pin on the RAMPS maps to D32 on Arduino, this works.
    // D32 is currently selected in the RAMPS 1.3/1.4 pin file.
    // All other boards will need changes to the respective pins_XXXXX.h file.
    //
    // WARNING:
    // Setting the wrong pin may have unexpected and potentially disastrous outcomes.
    // Use with caution and do your homework.
    //
    //#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP

#endif // AUTO_BED_LEVELING_FEATURE

// @section homing

// The position of the homing switches
    //#define MANUAL_HOME_POSITIONS // If defined, MANUAL_*_HOME_POS below will be used
    //#define BED_CENTER_AT_0_0 // If defined, the center of the bed is at (X=0, Y=0)

// Manual homing switch locations:
    // For deltabots this means top and center of the Cartesian print volume.
    #if ENABLED(MANUAL_HOME_POSITIONS)
    #define MANUAL_X_HOME_POS 0
    #define MANUAL_Y_HOME_POS 0
    #define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 0
    //#define MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS 402 // For delta: Distance between nozzle and print surface after homing.
    #endif

// @section movement

/**
    * MOVEMENT SETTINGS
    */

#define HOMING_FEEDRATE {50*60, 50*60, 200, 0} // set the homing speeds (mm/min)

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80.19,80.19,800,90} // default steps per unit for Ultimaker
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 2, 50} // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {3000,3000,5,3000} // X, Y, Z, E maximum start speed for accelerated moves. E default values are good for Skeinforge 40+, for older versions raise them a lot.

#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 500 // X, Y, Z and E acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
    #define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 500 // E acceleration in mm/s^2 for retracts
    #define DEFAULT_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION 500 // X, Y, Z acceleration in mm/s^2 for travel (non printing) moves

// The speed change that does not require acceleration (i.e. the software might assume it can be done instantaneously)
    #define DEFAULT_XYJERK 20.0 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_ZJERK 0.4 // (mm/sec)
    #define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec)

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

Have you wired the printer for the BL touch (taken out the Z axis limit switch) or for the normal setup (no BL touch).

If you are digging into customizing your own firmware, go for the latest version and roll your own. It will take a bit of time, but at least you will have all the latest features.

Bob

We haven't wired the BL Touch because we don't have the mount printed. Haven't even looked at the instructions, but from your comment it takes the place of the Z probe? That makes sense why it bounced around on its own, it did moved on to each position just after the Z stop clicked.

Anyway, no I don't really want to get crazy customizing my firmware - I don't even know what I'm doing - but the auto bed level doesn't look any better than the manual bed level, just more hassle, the manual was easy and quick to do. So I just want to do that. I assume this would require some change to the Z probe settings in the config file though, now that I see how the ABL is using it.

BTW if anyone can tell me in Cura where to set the Z offset I'd appreciate it!

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

When you get it running properly, probe based mesh bed leveling is much better than any form of manual leveling. It also has the advantage that it auto corrects for all the weird variation in glass and hairspray you run into.

Bob

From the config it looks like Manual BL uses Mesh BL?

Engineer-in-Training
    The type of bed leveling done is very dependent on the Marlin version you are using. The thing that the better stuff does is to allow for multiple lumps and bumps in the bed. The earlier stuff simply tries to find a flat plane through the data. The whole process of getting the "better" working is rumbling along as we have this conversation.

I know I'm not objective... But really... The UBL branch of Marlin is really good for non-flat beds. I went to several Dollar stores looking for the worst piece of glass I could find. I get perfect adhesion across 100% of the bed 100% of the time.

https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/tree/devel-ubl

If you search the Marlin Issue list, you will find a 'Cheat Sheet' with a list of commands to do to get your Mesh perfectly defined. In fact, you can get a perfect mesh without even having a Z-Probe on the machine.

I have no idea how to transfer the relevant settings to a machine-agnostic firmware. I just want this thing to work with what is supplied. I haven't gotten far enough to know if I have a "lumpy" bed...

If someone could tell me how to edit the config file I posted to get manual BL enabled that would be great.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast