Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    So a different motor comes with the Titan? It cannot use the stock Nema 17? (is too much torque a problem?) Also weight was mentioned, is this an issue? Is the Titan w/ lower weight motor desirable just because it is lower weight?

BTW thanks both of you for giving me the sort of feedback I need!
    You can certainly use the stock motor to run the Titan, it will just provide a lot of Torque. This isn't an issue at all and will certainly push any filament you feed it. One of the advantages of using a geared extruder is you can use a motor with less weight.

This means your carriage theoretically, can run at a greater speed.

Edit: I think Colin only has one type of motor, so if you purchase it with the Titan you will get the typical motor. Also, take a look at this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiAQ9slUZ58&t=3s

Engineer-in-Training
    Hi

No, you can not just look at a single torque number on a stepper motor. That's sloppy engineering. You need to look at the torque vs step rate curve for the motor. That's the only way to figure out what is going on. The advertised (and often bogus) torque numbers you see on steppers are at the max torque point. Surprise, that is almost always at zero steps per second (DC). The torque falls off as you speed the motor up. Since a geared motor is stepping faster, it *is* a significant issue.

You *can* use a bigger motor with the Titan, but the one that normally comes with it is not very powerful.

*IS* torque why the Titan stalls out earlier? The other stuff involved gets into bearing friction, gear friction, hobbed bolt teeth and force on the filament. Without digging to each and every item, there is no way to tell. What is true is that the Titan does not feed any better than the stock extruder.

Bob

I'm still really new, but I did just get the PEGASUS 12 Basic with the Titan Extruder and an E3d-V6 hot end, I finished assembling it early this month. Been printing for a few weeks, once I got everything square and calibrated it works great. I can't comment on which extruder is better or worse, for me at the beginning of my journey I'm just happy to be productive with it, once I get more experience I'll decide if I need to change the extruder. I'm hoping to move up to more flexible filaments so can support my Otter Box Phone case with a custom "rubberized" exterior (actually I think its more in the silicone family). Right now I'm just drawing up parts to repair damaged items or supplementing my bathroom "crap" holders.

Engineer-in-Training
    The bottom line is still that they all work ok for normal prints. You have to get a bit crazy to stress any of them.

So, starting accessories...I have a wide variety of tools, but is there anything specific to 3D printing I should get?

Going to use PETG and PLA/PHA hybrids to start, what bed release?

Glass bed or no?

Polycarbonate to enclose the machine, or see if I need it first?

Any other items?

Engineer-in-Training
    If you have a Pegasus, just use the glass bed. PETG prints fine on hairspray, same as PLA or ABS. PLA/PHA should also print the same. Polycarbonate is a total PIA. You do need something weird to print it on. What depends a lot on who you ask and what their process is. I avoid the stuff.

I'd get the "deluxe upgrade" before I enclosed the printer. I mounted an LED light on mine and redesigned the extruder from scratch to have a cooling fan and an integral BL Touch mount.

The polycarbonate was referring to the sheets to enclose the printer, probably from Home Depot since the deluxe upgrade kit is currently unavailable.

Any particular hairspray?

Your LED is close to the tip? Interesting.

I just went to Lowes and had them cut some Glass for the Bed and use only the heated glass bed for printing. I've printed Pla and Petg staight on the glass, I just scrap it clean and wipe it done with denatured alcohol. I had some problems with lifting recently but it turns out my nozzle was to high and my bed bed wasn't level enough. Now that I got past this point all my problems are gone. As for the enclosure I have an office built into half my garage (its insulated but rely s on heat from the rest of my house via a wood burning stove and a small portable heater. I would hold off on the enclosure till you get it up and running and navigate the wire management.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    The polycarbonate was referring to the sheets to enclose the printer, probably from Home Depot since the deluxe upgrade kit is currently unavailable.

Any particular hairspray?

Your LED is close to the tip? Interesting.
    Hi

Forget about Lowes for an enclosure. There are places on the internet that will do custom cutting for you with much better material. If you go the Lowes route, make the enclosure out of plywood.

The LED light I used is a fairly normal 12V "outdoor light". It's a 10W unit from Amazon. Nothing special about it.

Bob

I thought the Deluxe upgrade kit used polycarbonate, but it is actually acrylic. And the kit is back in stock just moments ago!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast