Close

This is what happens when you buy Cheap eBay Filament

I have been considering purchasing the cheap filament on eBay for some time now. It's just so tempting. I have seen prices as low as $12.99 per roll at some points. However, I just saw this guy on google+ post that he ordered a roll of filament from ebay for $19.99. Guess what happened.... The plastic wrap that was covering the roll of filament somehow reacted with the material in the filament and pretty much destroyed it. It actually appears as though the plastic wrapped burnt right through the filament strips.

He bought this stuff (http://www.ebay.de/itm/271427502743). He was offered a full refund and he claims that only the top layer was effected and the rest of it printed fairly well.

Just goes to show you that cheap isn't always the answer.

Engineer
    I have seen the plastic stretch wrap do this before. Not uncommon.

Well not that bad i guess as support goes,
    You buy cheap filament, if it has like 50 grams of it broken, you get a full refund and you can still print 800-900 grams?

Fine for me... :P

“Just goes to show you that cheap isn't always the answer.”
    Definitely you need also the quality of the filament not only the price. I also read somewhere here (in the forum) about ebay filaments; it’s crappy and with zero strength which easily breaks apart like fiberglass. Good thing I never tried ordering at ebay. This is a good warning. I’ll just stick to 3D2print for my 3D printing filament supplies.