Close

Technician

Wood filament, will it hold up outside in UV for say a bird house????

Just wonder if the UV will effect it or would it have to be painted which I would rather not have to do.
    Which filaments are good for outside and will hold up over time????
    Some filaments I might paint with some fancy texture paints they have today but the wood one I would like to leave plain.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well the pla side of things will be fine.
    What the wood part will do - that's another issue.
    You could have issues with the wood absorbing water and maybe splitting the layers, possible the wood will start to break down.

My advice, print one, stick it outside this winter when it's unlikely to be occupied by birds and see what happens.
    Suck it and see :-)

Technician

Wood Filament

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well the pla side of things will be fine.
    What the wood part will do - that's another issue.
    You could have issues with the wood absorbing water and maybe splitting the layers, possible the wood will start to break down.

My advice, print one, stick it outside this winter when it's unlikely to be occupied by birds and see what happens.
    Suck it and see :-)
    Wonder if there is a flat clearcoat I could put on it. Like to keep the flat finish to the wood.

Super Moderator
    The only thing that I could comment on is that the wood doesn't seem very strong. I have made some parts for experimentation to test printing with wood and they broke fairly easily.
    I would agree, print something and set it out for a while. I think heat and moisture are going to be the problems.

Technician
    What filament would be the best for outside use and I guess I can just use the color of choice in that
    filament or paint with a UV paint for the right color I want.

Pla is good for outdoor use, best would be pet-g. Both come in massive numbers of colours.
    I'm with whirly the wood makes the filament very weak. wood coloured pla or pet-g would bemuch bettet

Technician

Wood Filament

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Pla is good for outdoor use, best would be pet-g. Both come in massive numbers of colours.
    I'm with whirly the wood makes the filament very weak. wood coloured pla or pet-g would bemuch bettet
    Thanks for all the info.

Super Moderator
    I may have to make something from the wood filament and put it outside and see how it goes.

Good plan I have two small tables - one pla one colorfabb woodfill. I'll hide them somewhere :-)

you can try ASA material which is UV-resistant weatherable polymer, ideal for outside application