Close

New Problem - What happened here? - Photo

Never had this particular issue. Seems everything was going fine then this.
    The bottom 1/2 inch or so printed normally, there should have been another inch that looked exactly like the bottom part that printed ok.
    Instead the upper last inch came out as a bird's nest.
    This exact same file printed fine previously so I don't think it's the x3g file

Reprinting now with the Right extruder and it's at 80% (far past this point) and doing fine.
    Left extruder issue?

Best guess is that you had a layer that for whatever reason... filament heat, filament not feeding/jamming, bad section of filament, etc.... didn't stick right. From there, it'd just be a bird's nest the rest of the way as there is no previous layer for it to stick properly to.

Technologist
    I've had this where the extruder stopped heating for a few minutes, causing a gap, then spaghetti!

In my case, it was a board fault, with a dry joint to the heater socket. Never had this issue again since.

Quote Originally Posted by noiseboy72 View Post
    I've had this where the extruder stopped heating for a few minutes, causing a gap, then spaghetti!
    In my case, it was a board fault, with a dry joint to the heater socket. Never had this issue again since.
    Can you tell me how you found this fault and how you fixed it?
    Thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    usually that kind of thing is if the model shifts on the build plate.
    But yeah, not uncommon :-)

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Can you tell me how you found this fault and how you fixed it?
    Thanks
    Yep, took the board out, got the magnifying glass and had a good look around the connector and components. The leg of the connector was slightly corroded and this had prevented a good joint. Applied some heat and fixed the problem.

I've had similar results with dirty filament. I had a roll that just sat around for a long time and had a thin film of dust on it. It printed fine for a while, but then the dust started to collect together and limited how much plastic could come out of the nozzle. I figured any dust would just pass through. It turns out that was a far too optimistic assumption. I was able to purge the dust jam by just heating the nozzle up very hot and running clean filament through the nozzle.