Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Where are you buying filament these days?

Where are folks buying filament these days? Makergeeks used to be my go-to seller but has gone way downhill imo (slow ship/no ship). Looking for basic abs and hi-perf pla.

Super Moderator
    I agree on Makergeeks. Got a large order and none of it was vacuum sealed and the filament was wet. No response from service either. They really went down hill.

I have been primarily using Hatchbox. I get it from Amazon and from newegg.com. newegg has good prices and free ship but it does take longer than prime shipping.

The one thing to watch for is un-authorized sellers of Hatchbox. Go to their site and check for a list of good sellers or email them.

Surprisingly a seller called something like "fire sale merchant" is authorized!

Between Amazon and newegg I am finding good selection and prices.

I have used some eSun with good results and some rigid ink filament. I went to these two for some specialty stuff with good results.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    We've been getting all our ABS from Sainsmart.com for years. Excellent consistency in color, diameter, and performance.

Super Moderator
    Directly from them?

Well! I answered my own question when I looked again!

Engineer
    MakerGeeks Makes their own filament in the USA and ships direct, so you know who to credit/blame. I am extremely favorably impressed by their Raptor PLA series. The Raptor PLA carries a premium price, but gives excellent results. I love how it prints, and it's much stronger than standard PLA after you heat treat / anneal it. I've also used their standard Maker PLA, Crystal PLA, and ABS filament. The Maker PLA works great, the Crystal PLA turns some really beautiful pieces, and ABS is well, ABS. Iv'e not tried their PETG series.

DaveB, mind if I ask what time/temp are you using for annealing?

I have discovered 1) my oven temp dial is not accurate. 2) it is easy to make PLA puddles 3) when it does work, it really does increase strength noticeably.

I'm just trying to get more consistent results now

Engineer
    BoozeKashi: I have a gas oven that poorly regulates temps near 100C, so I have a developed a different approach. I put my finished pieces into a pot of water and boil them for 5 or 10 minutes. For smaller parts, I have even tried using a coffee cup full of water in a microwave oven.

Boiling water has a fixed upper temperature of ~100C. I believe that the steam above the water in a covered pot could be higher than 100C, but that has not caused me any issues so far. The water supports / floats the piece, so any warping at elevated temperatures that might be caused by weight stress during annealing is eliminated. IMO, the parts do seem to warp less often than when I use an oven based annealing process. This does not mean things cannot warp, just that they would do so for different reasons. I've also read that the parts may shrink slightly as the result of being heat annealed. I've not made the measurements to check, but after hundreds of parts it has not caused me any problems (so far).

I wrote and asked Makergeeks for their opinion of my "boiling" approach to annealing and they endorsed it, even posted my enquiry email on their website. I've seen a video that someone else had created that applied this "boiling in water" approach with apparently excellent results.

Engineer
    I've been buying Hatchbox on Amazon with Prime for a long time now. Usually $23 with free 2 day shipping.

That said, their prices seem to be going up on some colors, and with the delay in shipping because of Holidays I went to a store semi-near me and bought a few rolls of Inland PLA. I've tried the stuff a long time ago, it was decent. This is supposed to be "better quality formula" than before, so we will see. I hope it is just as nice, because it's only $14.99 per 1 KG and I can pick it up in a store

Super Moderator
    Be really careful about Hatchbox on Amazon or elsewhere. There are only 3, I think, authorized Hatchbox resellers. There are a lot of counterfeits on Amazon. Hatchbox puts out notices all the time about bad sellers on Amazon.

Engineer-in-Training
    I have been buying ESUN PETG from Amazon for about $25 with two-day free shipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast