Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I haven't had alot of experience with applying decals or vinyl but seeing a youtube video on that now, yeah that's probably not a bad bet at all. the moisture underneath (if any) would evaporate n your first build.
    Ya, I imagine it is an adhesive just like tinted window film. That's how I would try to first install it anyway. I can see it being a big pain and hard to keep it from getting ripples or air bubbles if you don't.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Ya, I imagine it is an adhesive just like tinted window film. That's how I would try to first install it anyway. I can see it being a big pain and hard to keep it from getting ripples or air bubbles if you don't.
    Like I said, took me a few tries on my first go, was a pretty frustrating experience, probably the most out of all the issues i've had, because when you get your printer, that layer is so perfect.

Technician
    Hi All,

Well first attempt at applying kapton tap, tried the mist spray idea and all looked good until bed heated up and the evaporation caused bubbles everywhere, build plate looked like a piece of bubble wrap.

Next attempt putting tap on cold bed, umm like this truly was a nightmare and wasn't happy with result.

Both first two attempts done with heatbed out of the machine.

Third attempt I left the 2nd attempts kapton in place, heated the bed to 100 degs, turned off heating and then just lifted kapton off one halk and re-applied just using finger pressure to smooth it out, then repeated task for other half of bed.

What did I learn.....Much simpler to take bed out, put on kapton roughly then put back in machine, heat bed and simple as to smooth off, not even the slightest crease or bubble anywhere.

One last thing of importance if trying this method, buy a pair of superfine cotton gloves, I didn't have any and lets just say fingies got rather warm.

Anyway it worked and never wasted a single piece of kapton tape.
    Cheerss

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    Hi All,

Well first attempt at applying kapton tap, tried the mist spray idea and all looked good until bed heated up and the evaporation caused bubbles everywhere, build plate looked like a piece of bubble wrap.

Next attempt putting tap on cold bed, umm like this truly was a nightmare and wasn't happy with result.

Both first two attempts done with heatbed out of the machine.

Third attempt I left the 2nd attempts kapton in place, heated the bed to 100 degs, turned off heating and then just lifted kapton off one halk and re-applied just using finger pressure to smooth it out, then repeated task for other half of bed.

What did I learn.....Much simpler to take bed out, put on kapton roughly then put back in machine, heat bed and simple as to smooth off, not even the slightest crease or bubble anywhere.

One last thing of importance if trying this method, buy a pair of superfine cotton gloves, I didn't have any and lets just say fingies got rather warm.

Anyway it worked and never wasted a single piece of kapton tape.
    Cheerss
    Thanks for the tip, I have not tried to half do it and then heat it and smooth it out, I tried to get it perfect before I put it back on the machine, and yeah its a pain, I get my wife to hold the roll of tape tight and I smooth it out.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Sounds like this is one time you can get away with doing a half-arsed job!

OME

I have found that if you make a strong mix of sugar and water and wipe it over the hot bed it makes things stick. and after it just cleans up with a warm damp sponge.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    yeah I use sugar soap (from the hardware store) which I guess is pretty similar that.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Technician
    Back finally,

I have been using computer wipes from Big W, branded under the clean range. Every print has adhered perfectly to the bed and the wipes leave no residue.

Cheap as they come and extremely effective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12