Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Is Forum hacked?

When I visit this forum and go to click on the back arrow icon to go back to the previous page, I get a dialog box with two buttons that say "Play Now" and "No Thanks".

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Anyone else getting this?

Not I (adding words in parenthesis to make the minimum post)

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    nope - probably a browser issue.
    jeff - what browser do you use ?

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Anyone else getting this?
    I had that appear yesterday, but just once. IIRC, it appeared when I clicked on the forum button at the top, not using the back-arrow like jeffmorris. Firefox used as browser here.

Engineer-in-Training
    I'm using Google Chrome.

Engineer-in-Training
    I got it at lunch on chrome at work. I don't get it on mozilla at home. There are a lot of questionable spam posts. I am all for moderation of new sign ups but the staff isn't for it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    There are a lot of questionable spam posts. I am all for moderation of new sign ups but the staff isn't for it.
    I read every one, some are just weirdos posting odd things - way i figure it if I deleted every dodgy post or just stuff I disagreed with, we'd lose half the forum :-)

And chrome is probably the least secure 'browser' (it's not a browser its near enough the full android os with built in windows vulnerabilities - use it at you peril) out there, for the simple reason that it's the most complicated and designed to run crap on your computer even if you are not directly using it as a browser.
    My advice as a 30 year computer professional - ditch it.

Staff Engineer
    I'm using Chrome and not getting any of that. But I have to say, that sports-streaming spammer is getting on my nerves...

Engineer-in-Training
    I have been an admin of some pretty questionable boards and it's not rocket science to figure out a spammer/hacker post. I was also an engineering system administrator currently sharing duties with design and adminastering the PDM system at work that I wrote the interface and workflow for.

A browser is as secure as the protection methods employed (antivirus spyware firewall and not being logged in as a user with administrative rights) and knowing what not to click on. Chrome is not my choice but it is what the cloud based MRP/ERP system uses at work so that is what is on our computers.
    Last edited by Todd-67; 12-01-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast