Close

Technologist
    Follow mikethebomber On Twitter Add mikethebomber on Facebook Add mikethebomber on Google+

Ma Top Dewang x4 3D Pen Review

Hey all. I'm posting this review to both this site and 3dprintingforum.com to fulfill a request by the manufacturer, Ma Top 3d Pens. I've received one of their pens for a fair and honest review. The manufacturer sent us one of their PLA/ABS models (they also carry a PCL model) along with several lengths of filament for testing.
    Being new to the 3d Pen side of things, I did quite a bit of homework on the subject, finding many other reviewers of these devices complaining about their pens jamming on them. After a week of testing, we found no jams with the unit. Another reason to like the pen is that the nozzle is encased in a PTFE liner, keeping surface temperatures down to around 50-60C. As a parent, I'm very happy about this feature as this temp won't immediately burn a child. The pen reaches a top running temp of 210C for ABS at high speeds, and 195 top temp for PLA at high speed.
    All of our testing we found very positive, with only one drawback. The unit does not come with a power supply. And to run it at the recommended 2 amps via a USB connection, this is not achieved using a basic phone charger. You're better off either buying a high end USB charger capable of this, or a external USB battery.
    I want to thank Ma Top for sending us the pen and hopefully you'll find this brief review helpful.
    Also, sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.
    Mods, please let me know if there's any problem with this post. This was the first time I've ever been asked to write a review for a forum, and don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    shame about the nozzle temperature.
    My pen gets most usage as a heated smoother/joiner for finsihed models. Would be almost useless if the nozzle didn't get really hot :-)

Technologist
    Follow mikethebomber On Twitter Add mikethebomber on Facebook Add mikethebomber on Google+
    All depends on the application. Still would be a great printer "hot glue gun"