Close

Extrusion Problems

I've got a cheap chinese prusa i3 knockoff from eBay. It was working fine, then I left it for over a month and now I just cant seem to print anything.

The problem: Stops extruding after 5-10 minutes.

So after taking it apart Ive just realised I forgot to plug the fan on the extruder set up back in. Could it be getting too hot in there, so then the filament reaches its glass point, becomes flexible, and so the extruder cant grip the filament anymore?

Its definitely not clogged. If I push the filament it comes out of the nozzle. Then it extrudes as per normal for a little bit (20 seconds to a minute) and then stops again. So would this support the fact it was because of the fan, or lack there of? Perhaps the filament is still hard since ive just pushed it in so it grips for a bit. But maybe it doesnt go in fast enough so the heat "catches up", softening it more and more, which would lead to the grip getting worse and it going in slower, which would increase the amount it softens...a vicious cycle?

I'll plug the fan back in when I get back to the printer and give it a shot, but since Im not going to get back to the printer for a day or two I thought I'd ask here first. So do you think I've got it solved. The only other difference besides the fan being off if a different (cheap) filament.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. Hopefully it was just my idiocy that buggered things up and the fan is the problem.

Hello,

I had the same problem, do you have a prusa i3 from CTC ?

I have the same printer and had the same problems like you, don't worry I'll help you on it

Try to desactivate the retraction in your software, it'll should do the job but never expect something correct with that stock extruder, I recommand you to take an aluminium one or E3D hotend (even clone) as soon as possible.

Those parts are really cheap, don't worry.

Send us a pic of your printer, it'll help us a lot.