Close

Technician

Spike 3D Laser for modeling (Kickstarter)

I found this to be really amazing, and am seriously considering backing it:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ng-on?ref=live

How accurate do you think something like this could really be? It would save literally hours of designing if it is as accurate as they say it is. The way it works is you use your smartphone, aim it an object and it makes a 3D design (ready for printing).

Andy

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Wow, that really is amazing...

I think Autodesk made something for a smaller scale called 'PhotoFly' or something but I can't seem to find a download for it...

I'm glad that someone got around to making something like this! It will be really helpful for teaching Engineering classes!

Does anyone know if it is still possible to get in on Early shipments of these? I wish I had seen this when the Kickstarter proejct was still active

This thing seems amazing, and I'd love to have one the same time the KS backers get theirs.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    looks ok, but from what I understand decent sketchup knowledge is still required to build the 3d model, the the spike laser itself only is a distance measuring device, to use the data it collects you still need to actually build the model yourself based off reference points. I'll hold off personally.