Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

what will you be printing?

So I backed this printer a while ago now and then managed to forget about it! So when I remembered and took a look to find out the beta printers have shipped I thought I better get ready with some print ideas for when the finished one gets sent out.

Personally I'm going to try and print a quad copter and maybe something to prop my phone up in my car while I'm driving so I can use the sat nav without the thing falling off my lap.

What will you all be printing?

I going to try to print a full size futuristic helmet if peachy will able to print that kind of size. Otherwise I need to print it in parts and put them together afterwards.

Nice. I'm thinking of doing something similar as well actualy. I've only seen very small prints so far from the prachy. Would certainly be good to see something printed on a larger scale.

Technician
    from my limited understanding of the peachy, it should be able to print larger objects depending upon the size of the upper and lower tanks/tubs that you use for the printer

there's no theorical limit to the peachy. Might have to upgrade the mirror or laser, but if your able to put it high enough and have a reservoir big enough, you'll be able to print it.

Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    there's no theorical limit to the peachy. Might have to upgrade the mirror or laser, but if your able to put it high enough and have a reservoir big enough, you'll be able to print it.
    Probably yes. I wonder do how big the default peachy printer can print out before it would starting to warp or whatever.

Staff Engineer
    Really the question of size isn't so much if the projector or the software can handle it, but can you keep waves from setting up in the reservoir. If you watch an empty pool, it seems that there are constant waves even without outside disturbance (I assume this is due to tidal forces, but perhaps I'm wrong). In a small container this is microscopic, but if you get to very large sizes it can start becoming visible.

It might be worth researching ways to dampen waves in a container before just throwing the laser onto a large reservoir.

hm as first I want make a print for my daughter, even she wont be using it anymore. after that i would like to use it for some replacement.
    but my first project print would be, printing a alternative light switch with the looking of a fire or fire candle.

Staff Engineer
    I just realized my post wasn't quite on-topic... As for what I'll be printing, I have a project for a Rube Goldberg Machine diorama (with hidden motors, rails and magnets to make it reliable) that will be something of a centerpiece for my wedding. After that, I've been building up a library of filagree, gears bass relief scans and other imbellishments to add to furnature and other places around the house to change the whole look of the place (or as much as my fiance will tolerate) into a kind of victorian/steampunk look.

I also have a number of different walking mechanisms that I'll be finalizing up soon that will make some unique toys for friends. Also miniatures for a tabletop game I've been designing.

Also a set of rhombic dodecahedral building blocks. Oh, and dice! I have all kinds of interesting dice combinations.

...I have too many interests.

Technologist
    I'm going to start by printing a 15mm cube, because that's something that my current printer (Makibox) can't do reliably.

Then I'm going to print what I refer to as the "pin grid" object, which is a grid of 5x5mm pillars topped by a plate. I designed this specifically to be really, really hard for FDM printers, and so far it's failed on the Makibox (repeatedly) and even on a fancy Stratasys uPrint (although that was partly user error).

Then I'll try my buckyball-inside-a-buckyball-inside-a-buckyball-inside-a-buckyball-inside-a-buckyball-inside-a-buckyball-inside-a-buckyball object. Even the fancy Stratasys printer can't handle this because the STL file is too complex (around 400MB) and Stratasys aren't interested in fixing their software.

Finally, I'll get on to some useful stuff. Top two here are landing gear doors for a Durafly Vampire and potentially little gears to use with that (depends how precise the Peachy can be).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast