Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticks too well

Thanks. Qidi gave me a glue stick but I haven't tried it with PETG.

Engineer-in-Training
    For the record, it is not blue tape he is using, but a double-sided adhesive tape (adhesive on both sides) as used for sticking name-plates permanently to walls etc. Just google it and be astounded

The surface is 3M's 9448A Double Coated Tissue Tape which is a nearly rigid 0.01" thick plastic with an adhesive backing to hold it to the heated aluminum plate bed. It is considered a consumable and has to be replaced when it becomes damaged.

OK, so the adhesive for the plastic plate is the 3M product. That makes sense since the bed leveling gauge is another piece of the plastic which is 0.01" thick. The 'tissue tape' is certainly very sticky and hard to get off.

Thanks for the clarification.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    gluesticks are good.

why is glass better than printbite ?
    i don't need to put it in the freezer, put anything on it or change plates even if I leave it to cool it only takes 10 minutes or so.
    I have one surface and no messing about.

Engineer-in-Training
    I think he means that glass is cheap and you don't even have to wait ten minutes....

Super Moderator
    So it works for you - good. It is not everyone's choice. For me it is not worth the expense due to the reports of poor ABS performance.

Glass can compensate for build plate irregularities.

I don't have to put glass in the freezer. PLA will come off almost instantly as will PETG. Having multiple glass plates means I can pull a print still on the glass and add a new glass and ready to go in a minute. This is especially good for ABS where I don't want to force the cooling. I can set the print aside and let it cool slowly to avoid warping or cracking.
    I also have glass plates with PEI on them for problem prints.
    It gives me options. This is what works and I know how it performs so I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    gluesticks are good.

why is glass better than printbite ?
    i don't need to put it in the freezer, put anything on it or change plates even if I leave it to cool it only takes 10 minutes or so.
    I have one surface and no messing about.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    So it works for you - good. It is not everyone's choice. For me it is not worth the expense due to the reports of poor ABS performance.

Glass can compensate for build plate irregularities.

I don't have to put glass in the freezer. PLA will come off almost instantly as will PETG. Having multiple glass plates means I can pull a print still on the glass and add a new glass and ready to go in a minute. This is especially good for ABS where I don't want to force the cooling. I can set the print aside and let it cool slowly to avoid warping or cracking.
    I also have glass plates with PEI on them for problem prints.
    It gives me options. This is what works and I know how it performs so I use it.
    Spot on reply. I have 3 beds. I only use the freezer for parts that get really stuck. It is nice when you can slap another bed on while a part cools. I almost always print with ABS. The glass just moves the entire process outside the printer while giving a nice finish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12