Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticks too well

Sticks too well

I have a new Qidi X-One printer that is very good. I am completely new to 3D printing.
    Started using PETG on it at 75 degrees C Bed and 245 degrees Nozzle. The prints are quite good but I have a problem prying them off the bed even to the point of having to use a wood chisel to get some of the support structure for overhanging features off the bed.
    Will just lowering the temperature of the Bed help or will that cause other problems?

Engineer-in-Training
    Do you let the bed cool off to room temperature before prying them off?

I print on glass with 3DLac (hairspray). When cooling, the parts pop off by themselves. I just have to wait approx 15-25 minutes.

ABsolutely cold

Yes, I've allowed it to cool for hours and I've tried it when the printer just finishes.

Engineer-in-Training
    What is you bed material?

The surface is 3M's 9448A Double Coated Tissue Tape which is a nearly rigid 0.01" thick plastic with an adhesive backing to hold it to the heated aluminum plate bed. It is considered a consumable and has to be replaced when it becomes damaged.

Engineer-in-Training
    Well, that is your problem then. The acrylic adhesive on the top side (your printed part) will stick very strongly even at room temperature or below. I am flabbergasted why anyone would suggest that stuff.

If your want to print in PETG I strongly advise to move to a glass bed and 3DLac (or the infamous brand of special hairspray if you live in the US). Works the best I have found for PLA/PETG/ABS so far and you get a mirror-smooth heatbed side which can work out really good for some parts. And as I said, when cooled down the parts just pop off.

You can also try Printrite (Printbite?) with which others have good experience. When cooling down the parts also pop off, and it also works on a range of plastics. Curious Aardvark has made a lengthy post on that stuff, just search for it on the forum here.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    your best option is printbite.
    sticks when the bed is hot, doesn't stick when it's cooled.
    Works for most filaments - currently best printbed material you can get - I've tried just about everything else.

I even use the same settings you did for pet-g :-)

Failing that I'd go for cheap pva gluestick.
    Has the obvious advantage over hairspray that you're NOT spraying hairspray :-)
    Plus peels off easily, works for most things, and is dirt cheap.
    It can be tricky to get prints off, why i use printbite.
    But with pva, I always found that if you heated the bed back up, you could get a scraper under one corner. Not like blue tape, I often had models richocheting around the room wth that, or with bits of blue permamently stuck to the bottom.

Since i switched to printbite - I have had no problems, everything sticks everything comes off. shiny bottoms (lol) and no stress put on the model.

Like everything you need to determine you right settings for your setup. But once you've got it dialled in - it really is as easy as, print - remove, print, remove - no spray, glue, scrapers or need to ever replace it once it's on. Generally I can't be arsed to wait till the bed is cooled, so I just hit things (gently) with a hammer and that releases them.

Every new printer should come with printbite (and a heated bed), it'd be that one step closer to true pnp printing.

I will try Printbite. The Qidi came with a heated bed and the 3M plastic cover which is why I just went ahead and used it. Works quite well for PLA but obviously not so good for PETG (other than never lifting during the print process).
    The Qidi is as close as one can come to PNP printing when using PLA. It works right out of the box, is all metal, and every buyer who has written a report on it claims it to be superb. I even received an e-mail from the Chinese company who built it thanking me the day after I ordered it from Amazon. 150mm cube build area and it weighs 47 Lbs. I had one failure (X-axis) and they sent me a new stepper with an improved cable, the tools, the little parts and a few free nozzles. The failure happened on a Friday and by the next Wednesday, they had the new parts in my hands here in NorCal.
    Thanks for the information.

Engineer-in-Training
    Glass bed is the best option as you can remove it and throw it in the freezer. I have 3 beds that I can swap out quickly. They can be taped over or use hairspray which works very well.

Super Moderator
    On the X-ONE if still using the blue sheet on the bed. Try increasing your first layer height. PETG doesn't like a squish and the blue sheet is like super glue!. I can run 120% first layer with PLA on that stuff and get good adhesion.
    Glass is a good choice but the X-ONE doesn't have any "conventional" way to hold the glass. I have some printed clips that work pretty good. I am also getting ready to try another method and see how it goes.

Another thing people do when using PETG on PEI bed is talcum powder or glue stick. Do a google search on these to get info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast