Close

Thread: My 3D Challenge

Lightbulb My 3D Challenge

Hello all!

I am new to this forum as I am looking for information to help me in my new endeavor. I have never before worked with 3d scanners or printers so I am as green as it gets.

I want to make a 3D model of my house, surrounding property and even trees if that's possible.

I would need it to be as accurate as possible, so should I use a laser scanner or is there a 3d camera for this? Like walk around the house with Thor 3d or use a Matterport?

Then I would need a printer to match the size of my project, one that creates my house like a doll house, small but still large enough to interact with the space.

Abstract ideas can include strapping a camera to a drone and cost isnt an issue...yet

Staff Engineer
    If cost isn't an issue, then Faro makes some really nice tools for this sort of thing. They run about $50k. My friend Scott Page uses one to scan buildings - you might see what he'd charge to do your project: http://www.scottpagedesign.com/

Engineer-in-Training
    I suggest one of these:
    2710-2.jpg
    Set it for 20 years in the future, then ask again.

To do this sort of thing today you'd need to use industrial laser surveying equipment, and then pay someone to build the entire thing in cad by hand (probably take them about 6 months).

Possible I guess, but it will cost you a couple hundred thousand dollars.

I know I can make a .obj using Pix4d or DroneDeploy and send that to be printed so we cant be THAT far off lol

So what your telling me is that we can 3d print anything as long as we can build it in a program first. If I attempt to scan something large and detailed for printing i'm gonna have a bad time.

Djprinter is right, except it won't take me that long to model my shack (something I will be doing but I need to model a couple greenhouse contracts first.) It all really depends on the skill of the modeller and their knowledge in residential construction. Scanning would help with the exterior, I guess, but if you want to print it to have rooms and the like, you'd be better off creating a couple of boolean boxes within the scan to create rooms, at which point you'd have to add support structures when printing the floors and other such surfaces. Most printing software automatically adds the removable supports, so you'd save some time on that too.

I guess my biggest question would be is why? What function will this project have? How detailed will it have to be? The answer could help you manage your time better.