Close

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Add Torby on Thingiverse

Smile Found at the local junk shop

Out-of-work autistic brat and AVRFreak here.

I dropped by the local junk shop to see if he had anything interesting and found a MakerBot Replicator. Couldn't leave it there, so now it's mine.

replicator.jpg

Has 1 1/2 rolls of filament, red and black. There's a dual head and heated bed. Seems to be missing the power supply. I'll see if the junk shop guy has it in a box of junk. In case he doesn't, what are the power supply requirements? PS connects to this round 4pin connector on the back?

What do I plan to do with it? Hmm... I'm always making electronic things, playing with "G-gauge" trains, sculpting people from polymer clay and making other odds and ends. I don't think I'll have any trouble thinking of things to do with it, but first need to get it going.

Story seems to be a guy broke up with his girlfriend, had to move out of her house and dumped everything he owned off at the local junk shop. There are a couple pieces of plastic here that look like it printed once.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    psu - look on ebay or a 3d printer supply company. given that it's 24v and not 12, you can't just attach a pc psu to it. which is a shame.
    There are 100's of thousands of replicator clones around so I don't see it being a problem getting parts.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    psu - look on ebay or a 3d printer supply company. given that it's 24v and not 12, you can't just attach a pc psu to it. which is a shame.
    There are 100's of thousands of replicator clones around so I don't see it being a problem getting parts.
    Well, that got me part of a power supply spec. 24v at how many amps?

not a clue - look on ebay and it will tell you :-)
    Actually these things seem to be non-existent on the net. I have pictures from when I took my bottom cover off in the workshop, i'll dig them out and see what it says on the psu.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-16-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    I have the bottom cover off mine to see what the pinout is for the power connector. Hmm. It's mounted on the board. Thought I'd find red and black wires. This looks like a regulator, I'll bet the power supply is connected to that....

I see a 24v 10a power supply for 20USD on ebay. Maybe I'll mount is underneath here.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    If it is dual extruder with heated bed you will want 24v at 15 amps.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    Thanks. That's what I needed to know!

The junk shop guy says he thinks he found the power supply and two more roles of filament. He's at a sale today looking for bargains. It's an outdoor sale and expected to be below freezing, so he figures on finding some good stuff.
    Last edited by Torby; 11-19-2016 at 08:49 AM.

Add Torby on Thingiverse
    Nope, that wasn't the power supply, but he did have two more spools of filament.

I see it with the filament, whether it is a kind of energy supply?

found the pictures. no actual shot of the end of the psu - but it is made by: mean well http://www.meanwell.com/
    that might help:
    pics below.

You can see where we added an on off switch to the front of the printer. But this was before I fitted the print area cooling duct fan.
    Once you know the make you can get a model number from a search: Mean Well NES-350-24 power supply. https://www.amazon.com/Mean-NES-350-.../dp/B00KTJE3L4
    This is all assuming my clone uses the same board as your original :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-20-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast