Close

Administrator

3D Printed Artifacts from Sunken Mary Rose Warship

Researchers from Swansea University have utilized 3D printing technology, molecular biology, and imaging technologies to help bring artifacts from the sunken Mary Rose warship back to life. Downed back in 1545, the research team first worked with the Mary Rose Trust to investigate the biomechanics of medieval and Tudor archery, which led to this recent 3D printed display at the university’s Great Hall. The display included a 3D printed skull belonging to a crew member, as well as longbows, arrows, bleeding bowl, miniature compass, among other medieval artifacts. Read more at 3DPrint.com: https://3dprint.com/155222/3d-printi...ose-artifacts/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    they didn't need to 3d print the longbows, most of them were still in amazing condition. Some of them I think had an estimated pull of more than 150lbs draw weight.
    I've pulled a 100lb bow at warwick castle, we were demonstrating slings to the guy doing bow demos and I had a go on his bow :-)
    That was hard, a clothyard shaft from a 150lb longbow would go straight through plate armour at a fair distance.

Nice looking skull. What is it with historians and skulls ?