Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Control board upgrade?

Has anybody upgraded the control board to a different system? Every time I use this thing I wish I had.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Tenaja,

What are you talking about? You posted this in the Hyrel forum.

Davo

I am dissatisfied with the control, and I am considering an upgrade. I have yet to research deeply, but so far on the list are smoothieboard and linuxcnc. I wonder if anyone else has upgraded their hyrel, and how it went for them.

Senior Engineer
    Linux CNC will certainly work but the configuration would be a life's work. It is really hard to configure even if you are using it for the intended use.

Calling any change "an upgrade" is very premature, I think your time would be better spent outlining the problems you are having and trying to solve them.

I have Linux cnc in use, and it is not bad to configure. It will increase machine capabilities, so all slicer features are usable, like variable width and variable height extrusion. Those features give faster, stronger, and more accurate prints. Without losing smooth exterior.

My hyrel has lots of fancy pcb's, but those pcb's are not configured in a way that is better than, for instance, linuxcnc.

"variable width and variable height extrusion"

What are your suggestions for "solving" that with the current control?

What "features" do you think I could lose that causes you declare a change is premature?

A search on the hyrel forum reveals those abilities have been requested years ago. If they are not about to be released, an upgrade can not accurately be called premature.

Senior Engineer
    I have no idea how variable width extrusion could ever be possible with a fixed nozzle size and I don't know what variable height extrusion can even mean.

For sure if you want it as capable as it can be then Linux CNC is the way to go.

I didn't say that the change was premature, I declared calling it "an upgrade" to be premature.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    I have no idea how variable width extrusion could ever be possible with a fixed nozzle size and
    Not to be insulting, but I can not fathom somebody with that narrow of knowledge or experience base being qualified to evaluate or even doubt whether any control change is an upgrade or not. These are all features that slic3r has (it is installed on the Hyrel from the factory, and is tightly integrated into the software). Read the paragraph preceding the first image:
    http://manual.slic3r.org/advanced/flow-math
    In use:
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/527/2...1ac3fc6c_z.jpg
    Also, it is well known that in certain conditions you want a thicker first layer. See the very first sentence of this slic3r page:
    http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/extrusion-width
    I don't know what variable height extrusion can even mean.
    Variable height extrusion? Slic3r has it:
    http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode...e-layer-height
    For someone who has used other systems, it does not take long with a Hyrel to realize the controller needs upgrading in a bad way.
    For sure if you want it as capable as it can be then Linux CNC is the way to go. I didn't say that the change was premature, I declared calling it "an upgrade" to be premature.
    Based on that statement, I guess you have little experience with other systems.

Senior Engineer
    I think you have an understanding English problem. No way on earth is that a variable width extrusion.

You do not need to listen to what I say or guess what experience I have, take it or leave it but do not insult me because I use English correctly and respond to your queries as they are written.

Alternatively learn to write what you are trying to say. Once you learn to write the questions you want answers to then you will find that the answers are more relevant.

Thankfully the forum has an "ignore user" button, you are added to mine now why don't you add me to yours, that way you don't have to be embarrassed by replying with such drivel.

This is a quote from one of the slic3r links:"By extruding more or less while moving (i.e. by changing the flow speed/head speed ratio) we can make paths thicker or thinner:" By definision, extruding more or less while moving is variable. Everything I have read says Slic3r can do this, and the photo rendering backs it up. The hyrel can not make that part in the photo rendering. Changing the control to make the machine capable is an upgrade.Ignore me if you want. I do not try to insult. I just can not see a person doubting what is an upgrade when they do not understand what the slicing software included with a machine can do, when the machine control itself can not do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast