Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by threedee4me View Post
    very confused. i downloaded the program. not sure what to do next?
    Install it so it can run on your machine????

how do i import the stl and then what do i do past the code above into the editor?
    thanks for the direction
    The source code was given so you could learn. The very first line of the do_fill() module is:
    Code:
    module do_fill() {
        translate([-7,-14,0]) import("fibofidget.stl");
    That is how original image gets pulled into OpenScad to be modified.

To proceed, you would make a source file called do_fill.scad in some directory. Put that code into the file do_fill.scad. Put the original .STL file (with the correct name of fibofidget.stl) in the same directory. Double click on the do_fill.scad file from within Windows Explorer. That will bring up OpenScad. You should see an initial rendering of the output at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Install it so it can run on your machine????

The source code was given so you could learn. The very first line of the do_fill() module is:
    Code:
    module do_fill() {
    That is how original image gets pulled into OpenScad to be modified.

To proceed, you would make a source file called do_fill.scad in some directory. Put that code into the file do_fill.scad. Put the original .STL file (with the correct name of fibofidget.stl) in the same directory. Double click on the do_fill.scad file from within Windows Explorer. That will bring up OpenScad. You should see an initial rendering of the output at that point.
    sorry to be so clueless. again i am lost. i finally got the code in and i cut and paste it in and saved as i get this which isnt the complete file for some reason

also what do you mean by this : Put the original .STL file (with the correct name of fibofidget.stl) in the same directory.

finally did you recode the model or did you somewhow import the file i posted into openscad then fill it in? again sort of lost.

THANKS!

Complicated if you don't have any experience with OpenScad. Magics or the free version of Netfab makes this a much simpler job. Visual editing of the STL is a lot simpler for people not used to CAD.
    In Netfab, highlight the inner sidewall triangles and delete them, then use the hole repair tool to cover the planar holes you have created. 2 minute job...

Rich

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    did not know you could use the loop command without curly brackets. Thanks - learn something new every day.

I'd just combined the original with a shape that filled the holes.
    Same basic thing I guess, mine would just have been less elegant :-)

Yours is cleverer lol
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 11-10-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CSMonkey View Post
    Complicated if you don't have any experience with OpenScad. Magics or the free version of Netfab makes this a much simpler job. Visual editing of the STL is a lot simpler for people not used to CAD.
    In Netfab, highlight the inner sidewall triangles and delete them, then use the hole repair tool to cover the planar holes you have created. 2 minute job...

Rich
    not sure how do to this either. where do i go in setting that allows me to highlight the inner sidewall triangles and delete them?

thanks

Good grief...
    Attached Files Attached Files

In Netfab, right click on the part name in the right hand editor tree and go through the menu to the repair section.

In your modeller window the repair options appear above the model on the toolbar, things like select triangle/face/shell. Manually delete/add to edit the geometry.

Don't forget to apply the repair when finished to return to the model window.

Rich

total newbie here to cad so bare with me. you did want to try to teach me something. i am open to that but when i cut and pasted the code it didnt come out like the pic you attached it wasnt the full file. if there is an easy way i am open to learning. how do i get the file to look like this

from the code you supplied?
    thanks and thanks for creating the stl.

total newbie here to cad so bare with me. you did want to try to teach me something. i am open to that but when i cut and pasted the code it didnt come out like the pic you attached it wasnt the full file. if there is an easy way i am open to learning. how do i get the file to look like this

from the code you supplied?
    thanks and thanks for creating the stl.
    Yes... That .STL file I just posted is from the code posted earlier.

That picture you showed earlier had the code running and doing the correct thing. The problem was the .STL file was not being found and imported. You may not have noticed I changed the name of the .STL file. Take the .STL file you attached to this thread and put it into the same directory as where the source code for the .SCAD script is located.

Then either change the name of the .STL file to be fibofidget.stl or change the name given to the import() function. The two names need to be the same. And then you will get the correct image. If you just make the .SCAD program be this code initially, you will see if it is finding and loading the .STL file. If you can't get the .STL file to load, it doesn't make sense to make modifications to it.

Code:
    do_fill();

module do_fill() {
    }

Thanks so much for your help and time it is very much appreciated. i will play around with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast