Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How good will the Quality be?

Does anyone know for sure how good the quality of these m3d printers will be? I usually live by the phrase "You get what you pay for". However, prices for fdm printers are going to drop significantly at some point in time. Do you think this is the time? Do you guys and gals think that you will get what you pay for with the M3D or it will be the first printer to drasticly drop the price on fdm 3d printing?

I'm hoping it's the latter.

Time shall tell.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Even if they produce great prints you need to make sure the Build Area is sufficient for you particular needs. It seems to have a two-stage build area. I think that in order for the extruder to clear the frame, it has to move in to a a 3.5" base. So at full base size of 4.4"x4.3" you can print 2.9" high. If the base is less than 3.6" or steps in, you can print up to 4.6" or 116mm. From what I see most RepRap printers are capable of about twice that Build Size. But, it you only do small stuff, it looks simple, clean and well designed. Their thermochromic filament looks fun.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

I've wondered about this too but was reassured in Update 9. I asked for a dimensional check photo and they provided this:

It would be reassuring to see a similar photo from a Beta unit in the wild.

What do you do when it breaks?

When what breaks?

The machine? They all break.

Everything breaks. Then you fix it.

I guess I should have been more clear.
    How much trouble is it to fix the machine when it breaks? I ask because there is so much more to these things than "printing". I'm curious to see if the customers understand that and feedback from the ones that had to fix it.

It is certainly small and light enough that shipping it back shouldn't be too much trouble if they'll fix major problems under warranty. It's being pitched as a "consumer" machine so they'd better think about getting that system set up and in place for the wave of tickets they'll end up getting.

That being said, I've been studying the mechanical design of the thing for almost a year now and with a very low part count, about the worst mechanically I can see happening is breaking a guide rod or a belt. Anyone on this forum is likely competent enough to be able to repair it. Getting all 4 screws on the H-bridge timed to one another properly isn't critical if the bed leveling software works as promised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast