Close

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter

Custom Game Map Design

Hey guys! I'm really hoping that this is qualified as '3D-Modeling' because I think it is and it's really cool!

So, while I do work with conventional modeling for school and sometimes on my own, one thing I have been doing more of recently is making maps for Source games.

The name of the program that you build Source games in is called Hammer Map Maker, and it's make by Valve along with all the Source games and the gaming platform Steam. You can find Hammer on Steam by going to your 'Library' and the 'Tools' folder and downloading 'Source SDK'.

Personally, I've been making maps for a year now, and my newest project is a custom 'Military' type map for a Garry's Mod 'Trouble in Terrorist Town' server. I'm not sure how many of you are gamers but if you are, and you want help getting started with Hammer, let me know!

About 80% of making a map is the actual building of everything and the rest is making the moving parts and scripts work correctly!

Here's my map so far:

A view from behind where players will spawn
    Back of Spawn.jpg

The first building I made that has a door that will only open for a certain class
    Building with Door.jpg

The inside of the building
    Inside.jpg

An overview of the map so far
    Overview.jpg

Student
    Since no one else has commented on this, I guess I'll throw something out. I'm really not that knowledgeable as to the exact maps you're making, however I have used Unity 3D a bit, and it was mostly just regular polygonal geometry. Is this for making something different? Do you know if Steam uses Direct X? If it does, we might have something to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by CreativeCoPilot View Post
    Since no one else has commented on this, I guess I'll throw something out. I'm really not that knowledgeable as to the exact maps you're making, however I have used Unity 3D a bit, and it was mostly just regular polygonal geometry. Is this for making something different? Do you know if Steam uses Direct X? If it does, we might have something to talk about.

I do believe that Steam uses DirectX, yes.

I'm not really making a type of map in particular, just kinda adding things as the inspiration hits me.
    I had a friend last year take a class on Unity, and from what he did and talked about, it seems interesting.

Lol where is the time :P
    I tryed making maps like 4 years ago with Hammer, (if i remember correctly thats the name right? :P)
    Just didnt have the patience and the fantasy to realy create something,
    And the chance it would even get used is quiet small and when you have put so much work in it meh..

Also been in a few Garrysmod servers admin including the latest BizRP in its good years, But due bad staff etc it died lol.

Oh well ^^

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    I tryed making maps like 4 years ago with Hammer, (if i remember correctly thats the name right? :P)
    Just didnt have the patience and the fantasy to realy create something,
    And the chance it would even get used is quiet small and when you have put so much work in it meh...

Yeah, it's still Hammer. I think it used to be called Worldcraft, but now it's Hammer Map Maker.

I'm actually designing the map for a server. I don't have to worry about it not getting used, because I was asked to make it.

Student
    RE: DirectX- If that's the case, I was just going to say that you should be able to pull game assets using 3D Ripper DX: http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm I successfully obtained gemeotry from Unity. Of course, it will take a considerable amount of cleanup and retopology, but it's a starting point.