Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

How to slice a 3D model in half to fit my 3D printer?

How do I slice a 3D model in half to fit my 3D printer? The build volume is about 235 X 150 X 145 mm and the 3D model is too tall. I have the following software: 3D Studio Max, AutoCAD, Netfabb, Inventor, DesignSpark, FreeCAD, Fusion, and Blender.

Engineer-in-Training
    This is a piece of cake in Netfabb (Basic).

Import the part (Menu:Project->add part), use the menu at the lower right (sliders) to select where to cut in x,y,z direction. Then cut the selected part (or all parts). Then select one half (click->green) and export it (Menu:Part->export) as ASCII stl. same for the other half.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    Yes I agree with the above. Download Netfabb basic (which is free) and then follow the steps above. This method always gives an excellent result for us.

Engineer-in-Training
    Thank you very much for helping me use Netfabb to cut parts.

Engineer-in-Training
    How do I cement the halves of the part together so that there would be invisible joints?

Not sure the seam will be invisible, but why dont you just use a glue?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if it's abs - use abs glue: abs dissolved in acetone.
    Or just use acetone, but it tends to evaporate too quickly if it's a large area to be glued.

For pla and others I use uhu multi purpose glue. Dries clear sticks anything.

Engineer-in-Training
    I found out that ericthepoolguy created a working V8 engine shown at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1911808 I found out that the engine block was too big for my 3D printer. I wanted to use Netfabb to cut the engine block in half but I ran into problems. I wish that I have a larger 3D printer. I found out that MakerFarm has a sale on their 12" 3D printer at http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/12-pegasus-kit.html/ but I don't know how long the sale will last.

Very Helpful responses.

Engineer-in-Training
    If I cut the engine block in half using Netfabb, how do i put holes and pins in the engine block halves to locate the halves when cementing the halves together?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast