Close

How to shred prints for use in Filastruder, etc?

Does anyone have any advice if my buddy wants to shred his prints, in order to use a filastruder to melt it back into rolls of filament? Is there an easy method to do this? Would a blender work?

The only quality way I know of is quite complicated. It is by using liquid nitrogen to freeze the object and then putting it in a blender. I'm not sure a blender by itself would work. Haven't tried it. Here is more on what I am referring to with the liquid nitrogen. http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...iquid-Nitrogen

There is something now out by Filabot. It's called the Filabot Reclaimer. It's priced at $439, and it grinds up your old prints.

They advertise that it can be used with the Filabot Wee or the Filabot Original to recycle ABS, PLA, and HIPS plastic. I'm sure it would probably work with other filament extruders as well. It's currently on pre-order and I think it takes up to 4 weeks to have shipped. Might be what you are looking for. Probably a ton easier than using Liquid Nitrogen LOL.

I'd definitely use the Filabot over the liquid niitrogen/blender option. Seems like that would be way too much trouble. $439 is a bit high for a machine that shreds filament, but in the long run it should pay for itself.

Does anyone know if there is a certain lifespan of filament? Can it continuously be reused, or does it lose some quality?