Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Staff Engineer
    I had a problem with my Z travel on both platforms. I discovered that the bearings for the stepper motors and the metal "floor" that surrounds the bearings were not in good alignment with the holes through the rest of the structure. There was severe binding once the assembly of that section was placed. A good portion of the mechanism had to be removed in order for me to slightly enlarge the pass-through holes and to push on the bearing floor (stepper motor assembly) in order to remove the binding. I have not yet tested my modification since the re-assembly, however, so I cannot say how successful it was. There is enough freedom of movement that I can rotate the screws when previously I was unable. The manual does indicate careful measurement is needed, but a sharper note regarding clearance and alignment would have been useful.

Student
    Maybe they tightened up on tolerances because my kit lined up perfectly. I was quite surprised when I dropped the hat onto the core to see the leadscrews go straight through the bearings and into the motor couplers. With regard to ease of operation, I can raise and lower the tables by rotating the coupler by hand so I am hoping the steppers can operate reasonably effortlessly.

As i wrote i hope i have a solution for my z-problem. Sintratec told me that i have an old version of coupler. The coupler is flexible. Depending of the position there is sometime more force needed to move. Then the system is swinging. Now i have got an infexible coupler. We will see.... I think in the next day i will see more... I have to recalibrate my laser, because some screws get loosen. (laser holder :-() Losen srews seems to be the biggest problems with the printer. You tighten the scews. You print 2 or 3 times. some screws are not tighten anymore....I have a call with Sintratec about this problem. But i think we have not realy a solution. I is a temperature problem....
    @fred_dot_u: my core is fitting very well to the had. The clearancy is very exacly to all parts.

Student
    Interesting what you say about the screws becoming loose. I did notice that there were no references to any thread lock throughout the instructions which surprised me a little considering the complexity of the build. Probably more important when you consider the difficulty in doing it retrospectively! With the temperature differentials during a print session, it probably shouldn't be too surprising, given that aluminium has one of the highest coefficients of expansion of all the metals.

Got me thinking now!!!

Your are right.
    On the other side most connection are safe. The nut prefents loosing. Following positions have the problems from my sight of view:
    1. Laserblock (very bad if you are cleanig the printer)
    2. the sliding mechanism of the print and power chamber. The use special nuts but the conter nut gets loosen
    3. the shelf of the printer ... not a real problem

Student

Not quite there yet!

Well, yesterday my missing parts arrived so I was keen to get them in and the construction finished. I double checked the wiring (yet again) and connected everything up and turned it on. So far so good as there was no smoke. Following the guide, next was testing the components - here I hit my first problem. The 'Apply Powder' seemed to partly work but there was a horrible noise of stepper motor driving against a stop. Quickly turned off the test and tried the powder compartment drive. No problem all worked as it should. Then tried the build platform and again, there was a problem and just a lot of noise from the stepper. It then dawned on me that the stepper making the noise was not the one that was supposed to be moving - I had the 'Apply Powder' and build steppers round the wrong way. Swapped the two motors and everything was fine with the three steppers.

Heat up worked just fine.

Laser testing - It took me ages to find the very small dot for the centre point and I had to fiddle with the galvos, lifting them out and rotating the two of them before I could see anything on the calibration pattern but eventually all was looking good. Then tried the pattern routine but all I got was a horizontal line with brighter dots on it that ran through the centre point. I traced this to the Y axis galvo not working. I turned everything off, swapped the lead from the X axis to the Y axis and tried again. The Y axis galvo was working so the fault must be with the Y axis driver. I still have to find where the fault is before reporting it.

Incidental problems -
    I noticed that every time I turned the printer off, the software would hang and had to ctrl, alt, del to get rid of it and then re-load.
    The reset button, next to the laser key, is constantly flashing no matter what mode or operation is being carried out. Is this normal?
    The master on/off switch has failed in the on position such that I can no longer switch off the power into the machine at this switch but have to go back to the wall socket to turn it off.

Long post but I hope someone can help.

Mike

Student

Unhappy Dead driver

Further to my woes. It is now conclusive that I have a dead galvo driver.

I first swapped the power leads to both drivers to see if it was a power supply issue. No problem, power to both drivers.
    I then swapped the X and Y at the motherboard - no difference other than the Y galvo now moved as expected.
    Then swapped the final lead with the same result.

The only conclusion I can reach is that I have a dead galo driver.

The problem with the software hanging was my fault. I didn't realise the configuration window hides behind the main screen, when power to the printer is switched off, and wouldn't allow anything to happen before it was closed. So, just a dead driver and a faulty main switch to report to Sintratec.

That sounds not good.....
    The Reset light has the same behavior with my printer

Student
    Yes, bit of a bummer - there was no smoke so I am guessing it was faulty from the start. I have sent a ticket to Sintratec and will have to wait to see how quickly they respond. The time it takes to respond has been a bit of an issue with, sometimes, up to three days before getting a reply. I have raised this with Sintratec so will have to see if anything changes.

As far as the build goes, I have been very impressed with the quality of parts and the fit and the fact that everything moves as it should, without any major tinkering, is testament to this. With electronics, as far as I am concerned, it either works or it doesn't and unfortunately, I have a component that doesn't work.

Apparently, good things come to those who wait!!!!!!!!

Sintratec sometime answer really slowly. I think it is an resource problem a lot of start up company have. If i think it take to much time to play the question and answer game with a ticket system i call Sintratec...
    On the other side perhaps you got an secondary problem with your first electronic board. I have made the experience with the ir-sensor. It was not working correctly and makes o lot of trouble. If a had an electronic failure every time the ir-sensor was killed too. But for me it was very important to known me printer was working fine exept the measured temperature. Yeah and now my printer printing again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast