Close

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Still isnt that bad at all, most filament you buy from shops have the same or even larger tolerance,
    If you simple measure it every print it wouldnt be a problem i would guess.

Personally, I'd just be glad to be able to recycle my plastic easily...

The process I use now is not safe, and I have the burns to prove it...

Technician
    Follow Strooder On Twitter Add Strooder on Facebook Add Strooder on Google+
    Thank you all for your great feedback and the questions you have asked. We will try to respond to all general queries on this post as best as possible and will reply individually to the more specific questions!

From the start of development we have focused on extruding PLA filament as we knew it was an issue that most extruders have avoided in the past. We are currently a week away from filming the video for Kickstarter which will show PLA being extruded.

Additionally as some of you have pointed out that a grinding mechanism is currently a great need for the community as a whole. We fully understand this and it is a huge issue for ourselves when our prints fail, I have even attached an image of our current failed prints! A grinder is the next move for ourselves given that the project is successfully backed. Testing will be done with adding virgin pellets to find the highest quality recycling method possible.

The Kickstarter will be open to international backers and we are currently finding the best option for delivery of the product to yourselves.

In regards to tolerance, we have beaten current competition on several tests, and we are optimistic to sustain this level of tolerance. However, we did not want to give a final statement on tolerance until we were completely satisfied with ongoing testing, hence the confusion from the article. I have attached an image of a calibration cube we printed with perfect dimensions using Strooder filament to illustrate this. The tolerance will be verified before launch.

Please ask any questions you have and thank you again for your support.

CalibrationCube20.jpgfailedprints.jpg
    Last edited by Strooder; 05-02-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well only thing that might be wrong is that you tell in the article that its 20% less than average filament,
    Since i have seen ABS pellets selling for about 1.5 euro a KG. And a average spool is about 20-30 dollars easily.
    (http://www.kwb-wedel.de/ example of such reseller of pellets)

I would guess it would be quiet bit cheaper than 20% even with the eletricity costs.
    Hi DrLuigi,

When we saw this we were slightly confused as well. However, after second glance we have realised why it has been misinterpreted. It is supposed to mean 20% of the cost of rather than 20% less, sorry for the confusion!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingTV@yt View Post
    I really want to test one, but I'd need a 3 (2.8 to be more precise) mm version.
    During Kickstarer the kit will be provided with either a 1.75mm, 2.85mm or 3mm nozzle. However you will be able to order bespoke sizes through our store or by simply emailing us after your purchase.
    Last edited by Strooder; 05-02-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Strooder View Post
    Additionally as some of you have pointed out that a winder (Grinding mechanism) is currently a great need for the community as a whole.

I'm not sure if I just missed something, or I don't know certain terms being used, but when I first saw someone asking about a winder, I thought that they meant a mechanism that would wind the extruded filament onto a spool.

This sadly changes my stance on weather or not I will be a backer. I can't put money on something that can't grind my failed prints, and at the same time I'm in a similar situation with the spool winder.

I would personaly also like a winder, i can't have my room filled with plastic filament all over the place :P
    I personaly wouldnt rly need a grinder tho, as pellets are so cheap anyhow.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    I can't put money on something that can't grind my failed prints.
    How could you not want an excuse to mercilessly apply a hammer to your failed prints?

That's like instant stress relief right there.

Technician
    Hi,

Based on the Kickstarter being successful we will be immediatly working on a winder AND a grinding mechanism as accessories for the Strooder. I hope this clears things up for you!

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    My my this looks great.
    This is not restricted to pellets right ? I mean you can also recycle prints, plastic bottles .. Correct ?
    What kind of safety features do you include ? Auto cut off when Jammed or empty ?
    What is the diameter precision range/repeatability ?
    Regards
    Hi LambdaFF,

Currently we are concetrating on delivering a great quality filament from pellets. However, as long as recyled plastic is clearned of all contaminates and shredded to a grain size of 3-5mm you would be able to experiment with various recyled materials.

The saftey features include
    automatic cut off when cold, overheat cut off, jam detection cut off and a protective case!

Quote Originally Posted by Strooder View Post
    Hi,

Based on the Kickstarter being successful we will be immediatly working on a winder AND a grinding mechanism as accessories for the Strooder. I hope this clears things up for you!
    Any chance if this would be a achievement/milestone like we seen with other products in the past?

For example * dollars have been achieved, if you donate * dollars more you will get a winder addon or/and grinding mechanism.

Due i personaly wouldnt realy buy a filament maker without a winder tbh ^^
    After that the strooder looks great and compact, alot better than others i've seen so far wich are most of the time homebrew :P

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast