Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

The Micro 3D Backer Intro Thread

If you have backed the Micro 3D Printer, please introduce yourself here and give a quick reason why you backed it.
    Eddie

Engineer
    I Jumped in and backed it this morning. My younger cousin who'd in High school has always wanted a printer so I figured this will make a good birthday gift, which is in November. For that price I couldn't help but get it for him. I may be tempted to try it out before I give it to him. Just curious to see how well it works.

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    I'm in. Woke up a little late on the first day and had to pay the $299 price. Cheap enough to give it a try. I'm not sure what number I am for the 10,000 already sold though.

Could you imagine starting a new company with over 10K units in the bag? Amazing. I would like to see some of thier supplier negotiations now.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    I Jumped in and backed it this morning. My younger cousin who'd in High school has always wanted a printer so I figured this will make a good birthday gift, which is in November. For that price I couldn't help but get it for him. I may be tempted to try it out before I give it to him. Just curious to see how well it works.
    I've never seen complicated crowd funding projects ship on time. It wouldn't be surprising if this slipped to mid-2015.

Student
    Add icanthinkofanid on Thingiverse
    I jumped in with both feet and got the beta. It is here now and I'm very much enjoying it and working with the team at M3D. Mine came on time.

Why I got it? I wanted something for my boys and I to enjoy together.

I'm a mechanical designer and am the "caretaker" of the CubeX Duo and Formlabs printers in our office. Both had steep learning curves and took a long while to get decent prints coming out of them. When I saw M3D's design and claims (specifically software bed level compensation and Z-gap detection) I figured go for it for a small unit for at home. I really hope they can get the precision and accuracy back up to what they've shown/claimed on their early updates, though.

I just ordered mine a couple days ago. I'm anxious for the April shipping date that they claim, but I'm not keeping my hopes up, and fully understand that it may come in May or later. Though, it does seem like they are meeting their Kickstarter dates, so that gives me a bit of hope.

Anyway, I'm a civil engineer and a very amateur board game designer. My wife recently helped me prototype a game and she loved it so much she gave me the go-ahead to pick up a 3d printer to help out with making figures, dice, etc... We looked at a ton of different machines, but given what we will be making primarily, we didn't need anything very big, this seemed like a great option. Even machines in the $500-$1000 range don't have the stats of the Micro. (50 micron resolution compared to 70-100 of most machines).

I'm excited, but I figure I've got a month to learn 3D AutoCAD and design my custom dice and game pieces!

Technologist
    Follow RAMTechRob On Twitter
    Mine is paid for and shipping paid. It should be on the way this week. I'm going to try it out, load some files and then ship it off to a friend of mine that always wanted one.

I have just received the M3D after a loooong wait, and am anxious to get started. Unfortunately, it came with no instructions, no set-up diagram, no software or links. I am not a tech person (I'm a Professor of International Relations); I want to explore with this machine, but I need some hand-holding. For example, What (very basic) software is usable with this machine?; Do I need the software loaded before I plug it in to my computer?; Are the arrow-shaped foam bits on either side parts of the machine or merely packing protection? Where/how does the filament attach/feed? Help?

Engineer-in-Training
    I think you'll have to ask them. I didn't look very hard, but I don't see where they say what's actually in the M3D, what protocols it uses, etc. The web site claims the software and instructions are included, so you may have gotten left out, unless they're in a pocket in the packaging somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast