Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PETG - for what do you use it?

Hi,

im new to PETG for printing. I know its foodsafe, should I print my own lunchbox now?

For what do you use it?

Best regards,
    Julian

Quadcopter parts, outdoor decorations, all my different wind vanes, indoor knickknacks, Nerf gun upgrades... Everything...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Currently use it for stuff that needs a little bit more flexibility than pla and don't mind not being as stiff.

Essentially it's an excellent substitute for abs, with less hassle printing and no need to use acetone. Also doesn't smell when printing.

To qualify: it is food contact safe - all that means is that it does not leach chemicals into food.
    Most pla is food contact safe as well.

You will still get the camp that say that nothing is foodsafe as 3d printed stuff has lots o crevices for bacteria to thrive in.
    My current answer is that wooden cooking utensils have a lot more crevices and have been used for hundreds of thousands of years without wiping out the human race.

It comes down to a personal choice and sensible kitchen hygiene practices.

Hey,

thank you very much for your answers! Actually im printing parts for my reprap, works well after this i want to try a vase!!
    when im finished i show you some pics

Im printing with material from material4print, they have it since 2/3 weeks, so i dont have much experience with PETG!

If you want to test it, you can get a 6m piece for free (if you are living in germany)! You can contact me by PM, then i can give you the e-mail you have to contact

Thank you very much again!

just printed an internal part for my mates bidet. used pet-g because it is very chemical resistant, and this is a bidet :-)

At the moment im trying to find the right temperature for PETG, had some issues at last...

Dont want to open a new thread now, i have seen that many people are using HIPS instead of ABS sometimes...wait...HIPS?? I think its "just" support material??

What do you think about that? I dont have HIPS so i cant judge about this :-/

I am using it for a halo light body that will go around the spindle of a Bridgeport milling machine. That location does receive some small amount of oil leakage so this should withstand it. I also will use it to build fixtures and jigs for my CNC mills and the manual Bridgeport mill.
    Also using it to replace a broken bathtub drain trim piece that has broken.
    I like it better than PLA and it very resistant to warping and other problems.
    I print it at 75 Deg. C on the bed and 245 deg. C on the extruder.

last pet-g thing was a five way connector for a gazebo. I'm not entirely convinced that it's any better than the reprapper pla - but the esun petg stuff I used was a good bit cheaper, so that's okay then ;-)

Super Moderator
    PETG is a good substitute for ABS with good outdoor qualities.
    Easier to print on open frame printers.
    Can be a little bit more flexible than ABS especially on thinner parts.

Follow makeshaper On Twitter Add makeshaper on Facebook
    We notice that PETG has:

• Excellent layer adhesion
    • Warp resistance
    • Reduced shrinkage
    • Higher density
    • Chemical resistance to both acidic and alkali compounds
    • Flexible printing on glass, acrylic, glass, blue tape and polyimide tape
    • Odorlessness during printing

We did a blog a while back listing the advantages of PETG http://www.makeshaper.com/2016/11/15...n-3d-printing/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast