Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underextruding, not enough top solid layers, infill %, filament or other?

trying to print a couple of pieces and they will not come out right. it has holes in the top layer i have tried many setting in simplyfi3d: adding to the top layer, increasing infill %, temperature setting 210, 220 not sure what to try and my question is how ever would i know the correct setting to start with so i dont make so many wasted models?

thanks for any help!!!

No info. Speed? Material? Slicer? Calibrated? Layers? Infill? And so on...

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Do you have a setting to increase fill density for top/bottom solid layers?

thanks for trying to help me...

Speed? 3600 mm/min
    Material? inland pla
    Slicer? simplyfi3d
    Calibrated? not sure how to do this? you mean bed calibrated? if so when i first for the machine 6 weeks ago i did.
    Layers? primary layer height .20 top solid layers 5
    Infill? i tried 25%, 30%, 40%

using supports and rafts and i used a temp of 200, 210, 220

thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by threedee4me View Post
    Speed? 3600 mm/min
    That's fine
    Material? inland pla
    That's fine
    Slicer? simplyfi3d
    That's fine
    Calibrated? not sure how to do this? you mean bed calibrated? if so when i first for the machine 6 weeks ago i did.
    Aha... read the Sailfish calibration manual (has a thread in the Flashforge forum). Particularly chapter 5. This explains how to calibrate your extrusion flow. Even if you don't use Sailfish you will need to do this with every single material you use!! It should give you some insight into the process if you are a non-sailfish user. Other printing issues are discussed in the manual too so check it out You cannot 'calibrate' the HBP. People here speak of levelling but this is also incorrect. The proper term is tramming. It is simply aligning the HPB to the axial movement of the X and Y axis; the bed may not be 'level' as a result.
    Layers? primary layer height .20 top solid layers 5
    That's fine
    Infill? i tried 25%, 30%, 40%
    That's fine
    using supports and rafts and i used a temp of 200, 210, 220
    That's fine

Engineer-in-Training iDig3Dprinting's Avatar
    Follow iDig3Dprinting On Twitter Add iDig3Dprinting on Facebook Add iDig3Dprinting on Google+ Add iDig3Dprinting on Thingiverse
    I would be inclined to say that you should look at layer height, not all layer heights are the same and there can be a large error at a particular layer height when compared to another.

thanks again for the help. sorry to still be a little confused. when you look at layer height which one out of these settings:

what is sailfish a slicer?

can i calibrate the extrusion flow with simplyfi3d?

what is HBP? heated build plate?

bottomline when using S3d i got issues holes on the top layer and sometimes on bottom layer and i would just like to get better looking prints and not sure what the is that is causing my issue like this one on the top layer as well:

thanks

Sailfish is printer firmware. The Sailfish manual describes the calibration process quite nicely. You set the extrusion multiplier in the slicer. The value varies from slicer to slicer so it something you'll need to get some experience with.

Just going by that last photo I reckon you are under-extruding.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    I concur on the likelihood of under-extruding. threedee4me, in addtion to Sebastian's sailfish reference, just search the internet for "extruder calibration". There are countless videos and references that will help you understand what it is and how to go about it. Triffid Hunter has his own calibration guide that people often get referred to. That might be something to look at when you see it in the search listing.

What the process basically does is help you tweak your printer and slicer settings so that the printer is cranking out the proper amount of extrusion volume. Calibration usually involves printing something like a solid (100% infill) cube and observing what the final result looks like.

You might also consider adding some info about your setup to your signature so that readers know what you have for a printer, slicer, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast