Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by American 3D Printing View Post
    Instead of PLA, have you considered HIPS or Nylon? We print with both and they offer many advantages over PLA (or ABS). The HIPS is lighter than PLA and very rigid like PLA is, and nylon is both lighter and stronger than PLA. Depending on the type (we have Taulman 618, 645 and Bridge) can be somewhat flexible which might be an advantage in the UAV application, just as it is in many of the other applications we build with nylon. The main issue with nylon is getting it to stick to the bed, but we've learned a number of techniques to get past that. One of the cool things about both HIPS and nylon is that you can sand them. Obviously, anyone who has tried to sand PLA has learned that you just get a gummy mess.
    Actually PLA sands very well to a smooth finish, I know, I've done it in this plane.
    I have considered using Nylon but it won't work, many parts on the plane need to be glued together (using epoxy) and that would be impossible with Nylon; I don't know about HIPS, does it work with glues? (I suppose it does, being polystyrene)

Engineer-in-Training
    I just did a quick search on HIPS and the thing that is most interesting to me is that is 20% lighter than PLA, that would be a huge advantage for a plane, in the case of the Nomad it would automatically reduce the weight by 80 grams, from 650 to 570. So I'm going to give it a try to use it in final prints, I still prefer PLA for the development, it prints so easy without a heatbead (no time wasted in cooling down after print) and with no fumes.

Technologist American 3D Printing's Avatar
    Add American 3D Printing on Facebook Add American 3D Printing on Google+ Add American 3D Printing on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    I just did a quick search on HIPS and the thing that is most interesting to me is that is 20% lighter than PLA, that would be a huge advantage for a plane, in the case of the Nomad it would automatically reduce the weight by 80 grams, from 650 to 570. So I'm going to give it a try to use it in final prints, I still prefer PLA for the development, it prints so easy without a heatbead (no time wasted in cooling down after print) and with no fumes.
    When we first got our HIPS we were told to heat the bed to 50°C. Subsequently we discovered that it doesn't need heat at all. If you're using a glass bed spreading some ABS juice around will help it stick a little better.

Engineer-in-Training
    Today I did the maiden flight, not too shabby but I need to tweak the controls to make it less responsive to the commands.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
    Today I did the maiden flight, not too shabby but I need to tweak the controls to make it less responsive to the commands.
    That is too cool! Be sure to make a very good parts list so anybody (like me) can make it! Was that landing too rough for it? Did it break anything coming down the first time?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    That is too cool! Be sure to make a very good parts list so anybody (like me) can make it! Was that landing too rough for it? Did it break anything coming down the first time?
    I have to compile all the parts and upload them to Thingiverse to replace the ones now there, there have been many design changes. It's a large number of parts, and some are tricky to print so I will also upload the G-Code so anyone can see what were the printing settings for each part.

The landing was not that hard, fast but smooth, nothing was broken; but the second time I over controlled the plane and it crashed on its nose cracking it, so now I'm printing a new one. On the positive side nothing else broke even thoug it was a pretty hard impact, so I'm satisfied with the strenght of the parts.

Engineer-in-Training
    I just uploaded the STL files to print the plane, plus an OBJ format file with the original meshes so that anyone can play with them.

Nomad UAV Mk.I

I'm going to write a bill of materials tomorrow with all the necessary R/C gear for the plane.

Engineer-in-Training
    I compiled the list of materials for the plane, I got everything from HobbyKing.com, but the list can be used as a reference to get equivalent parts from other stores:
    -Elevon servos: Turnigy TSS-10HM Digital Micro Servo X2
    -Flaperon servos: D05010MG 5.7g / .61kg / .07sec Digital Metal Gear Micro Servo X2
    -Motor: hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv
    -ESC: Turnigy AE-25A Brushless ESC
    -R/C receiver: OrangeRx Open LRS 433MHz 9Ch Receiver
    -Elevon servo pushrod link: Ball and roller link 4.8x2x18mm (10pcs/set) & Threaded Ends M2xL20mm
    -Flaperon clevis: Nylon Snap-Click style clevis for 1mm rod
    -8x4 propeller (PRODUCT ID: H8011A )
    -M3 nylon screws and nuts.
    -3mm outer diameter nylon pushrods.
    -1mm steel wire for elevon and flaperon linkages.
    -8mm and 3mm diamter carbon fiber tube for wing and tail spars, 1,5mm diamter carbon fiber rod for control surface hinges.
    -Glass Fiber Cloth 450x1000mm 48g/m2 to reinforce the inside of the fuselage nose section.

No battery? Maybe the parts list is missing the little solar panel that powers everything?

Engineer-in-Training
    No battery? Maybe the parts list is missing the little solar panel that powers everything?
    Ooops.... The battery I'm using is a 3 cell 1500mAh LiPo. I knew I'd forget something on the list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast