Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can anyone plesase tell me whats ailing me ?

i cannot for the life of me figure out what i am doing wrong on this.

- pla
    - flash forge finder printer
    - tried flash print stock settings: with rafts and supports
    - then i tried simplyfi3d and messed with extruder multiplier stock is .90 i tried .95 and .100 to no avail. the temp was set 210 i raised it to 220 to no avail

i am now trying the same print in simplyfi3d again with the same pla filament but a different color and its seems to be working. could it just be a bad batch of filament? if so can i change setting to compensate or its just bad?

thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    If other filament prints fine, it could be a humidity (of the filament) issue. When you extrude a bit into free air, is it smooth surface / translucent? Or is it rough / opaque?

If the latter you will need to dry the filament.

thanks for trying to help me! it comes out of the nozzle fine but then once on the bed and layer upon layer is where the problem arises.

the pic above is the blue filament that isnt working the other filament i tried another color clear and it came out fine. i am now going to try to the blue again at an even higher temp say 230.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    different colours make a lot of difference.

Pla should NOT need a raft.

The basic settings on s3d are generally right, don't mess too much.
    Also with pla, it's usually better to adjust temps Down, not up.

If you get crappy results at 210 - try 205, or 215 max.
    220 is a bit hot for most pla.

what print speed were you using ?
    You can usually get better results by dropping print speed, rather than messing about with extrusion settings.

curious aardvark thanks for this information. i will try these out as well. MUCH appreciated! speed setting below i think...

thanks

Engineer-in-Training
    Can you measure the diameter of both filaments with calipers? Unlikely nowadays, but could be a problem there...

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    60mm/s - not too fast - so it's probably not that.
    I usually print pla at 65.
    Wouldn't hurt to drop it to 50mm/s 3000mm/min, just to check.
    Switch the display to mm/s - it's much easier to visualise how far it travels in one second. Almost impossible to visualise how far it goes in one minute :-)

What brand is the pla ?

-what setting to i put at 50mm
    -how do i switch the display?
    -maker series pla [the clear prints perfect] the blue maybe has issues? maybe just a filament bad batch?
    -not sure how to measure the filament
    thanks

UPDATE I got it to print at 235 degrees it worked. its not perfect it has some holes. the only other problem i have is the raft material sticks to the piece too much. how do i exactly change the raft setting to stick less? i do need a raft or my piece seems to slip.

thanks
    Last edited by threedee4me; 10-06-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by threedee4me View Post
    -what setting to i put at 50mm
    -how do i switch the display?
    -maker series pla [the clear prints perfect] the blue maybe has issues? maybe just a filament bad batch?
    -not sure how to measure the filament
    thanks

UPDATE I got it to print at 235 degrees it worked. its not perfect it has some holes. the only other problem i have is the raft material sticks to the piece too much. how do i exactly change the raft setting to stick less? i do need a raft or my piece seems to slip.

thanks
    Personally I think 235 is way to hot for PLA plus can start to damage the PTFE tubes if your setup has them. I would have gone the other direction. I print a lot of PLA in the 190 range. I would also slow the speed way down to start with. Drop to about 1500-2000mm/min especially if the part is small.
    My process when everything goes wrong is to reload the profile back to default. Drop the speed. Set the temp low. What brand of PLA?

i am a new so i am going a mile a minute trying to soak up all info i can. i bought simplyfi3d but that has my head spinning in good and bad ways since there are so many settings its great but confusing to me too. the print came out much better but there are still imperfections. i see some holes at the bottom of the print. i was about to try to add more perimeters first using the software. i will 100% take your advice and try it again your way now instead first.

its makergeek clear pla. it says use at 230 since its a very concentrated color and its nearly pure pla resin. i will try and see what i get.

thanks

Update: i tried to print at 192 degrees and speed 2200 and it failed. it turned into a messy blob.
    Last edited by threedee4me; 10-07-2016 at 09:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast