Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Surface resistivity of PLA

Does anyone know the surface resistivity of PLA? (Plain PLA with no metals or carbon added.) I have googled it, but I have not found anything relevant.

A typical range or specifications for a particular filament would be useful.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it is completely non-conductive. I'd guess that puts the resisitivity at 1
    At least when I use my multimeter to see if something is conductice - it sets itself at 1 for zero conductivity. Pla is a solid 1 :-)

I've only just come across the term when researching electroforming.

But basically unmidified pla does not conduct electricity.
    Hell the modified stuff does a really lousy job of it.

Is that what you mean ?

I have also measured with a multimeter, no contact trough a 0.5mm sample at the 40Mohm scale, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily an insulator. If the surface resistivity is in the 10^9 to 10^12 ohm per square range it will still be static dissipative even if the resistance will be much to high for my multimeter to meassure.

what does that mean in english ?

surely something that is 100% non conductive is also an insulator - unless ytou get it wet.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

surely something that is 100% non conductive is also an insulator - unless ytou get it wet.

100% non-conductive is not possible. There is no such thing as pure insulator or pure conductor (under normal operating conditions)

PLA is way up there with most of the plastics. Zero free electrons tends to do that to any material. About 10^13 - 10^16 for PLA.

Follow 3dex ltd On Twitter Add 3dex ltd on Facebook
    As Mjolinor said, PLA is similar to most plastics in terms of its conductivity/resistivity.

Do you have a particular use in mind? Some of us might be able to comment on whether PLA is suitable.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post

Nothing is non-conductive. Static buildup can result in a nasty shock on plastics because the voltage is high enough to allow current flow across the surface and into your fingers.

Which is why when you use PVC pipe to build a dust collection system you need to ground it. it doesn't do much for small shocks but the larger higher voltage ones are reduced. Many people consider that to be a waste of time, but imagine 25,000 volts sparking in a dusty room.

you learn something new everyday :-)

About 10^13 - 10^16 for PLA.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dex ltd View Post
    As Mjolinor said, PLA is similar to most plastics in terms of its conductivity/resistivity.

Do you have a particular use in mind? Some of us might be able to comment on whether PLA is suitable.
    I was thinking it might be static dissipative. I think the upper limit for that is 10^9 - 10^12 ohm/square, so looks like it is not..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast