Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fontseeker View Post
    Do you suggest to set them both to 0?

220 and 80 as an temperature of the extruder and HBP?
    I might research the settings a bit. It seems one may be telling it to start the supports a little to high for the first layer.

I run my bed at 65 for the first couple layers then to 60 and that is with a glass bed. As for extruding I run from 190 to 210 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by wirlybird View Post
    I might research the settings a bit. It seems one may be telling it to start the supports a little to high for the first layer.

I run my bed at 65 for the first couple layers then to 60 and that is with a glass bed. As for extruding I run from 190 to 210 or so.
    Going to try both values at 0 and a layer height of 0.1mm for the support structures to make it go a bit slower, might help. Will let you know how it goes.

As far as my temperatures, I have used 220C and 40C for the build plate and it has always gone fine.

Thanks for the help, will let you know how it turns out.

Add cncartist on Thingiverse
    I definitely think it's more of a software issue than hardware maintenance now if you were able to print something without supports just fine without any filament issues.

Here are my settings from S3D which I've used for quite some time, maybe they will help:

Quote Originally Posted by cncartist View Post
    I definitely think it's more of a software issue than hardware maintenance now if you were able to print something without supports just fine without any filament issues.

Here are my settings from S3D which I've used for quite some time, maybe they will help:
    I just tried it again with these settings:

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.02.36 PM.jpg

But still failure, as soon as it reaches the supports the build plate and the extruder gradually get separated by a centimeter or so. I don't know what to do. So as soon as the print reaches the part where it will start the support structures: this part:

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.21.20 PM.jpg

The extruder and build plate are not closely together (shown in the video)
    Last edited by fontseeker; 09-21-2016 at 08:24 PM.

Add cncartist on Thingiverse
    Thanks for the information. It sounds like your software is generating G-Code that has some really weird settings for the support as I don't see anything in your config that would make me think your print would mess up like the video.

I've never really encountered anything like that in S3D and hope someone else more knowledgeable in that software may be able to assist.

Super Moderator
    If you haven't yet I might go post this out here.
    https://www.3dhubs.com/talk

This is a good area with a large volume of people with a wide variety of experiences and equipment.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    One thing I haven't heard anyone bringing up is a possible issue with retraction settings. If you're printing with retraction, try turning it off for a test print. It could be that adding the support structures adds that many more retractions to the print, increasing the chance of extrusion failure. No QIDI printer here, but I thought I'd throw that into the mix of possibilities.

Halfway through the print, a gap of air between the extruder and the actual print is present. I don't know why:

My settings are:Filament: PLA
    Extruding temp: 220C
    Build Plate temp: 40C
    Layer height: 0.2mm
    Shells: 2
    Extruding speed: 40
    Speed while extruding: 40mm/s
    Speed while moving: 60mm/s

I use Makerware as my slicer

More pictures of the issue:
    IMG_3251.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg

Also, in this picture there are empty spots in the first layer? Could that be an issue?
    IMG_3244_2.jpg
    Last edited by fontseeker; 10-01-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    the empty spots are because at that point the extruder is too close to the build plate to extrude. ie, the build plate is not level.
    Now this will cause a build up of molten filament in the extruder the will change how it prints the next bit of the layer.
    In other words just having the bit of the bed not level could well effect the entire print.

Apart from your print temp being a little high for pla (try 210), settings are fine.

But your build plate is definitely not level.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12