Close

3D Systems Cube 3 3d Printer questions

I'm seeing that lots of retailers are dumping their stock of Cube 3 printers and 3D Systems have also dumped their Home/Hobby line of 3d printers. I would never have consider this printer at their launch price but now that you can get one (new) for on average $200 are they still not worth it? I'm looking for a 3D printer for our Elementry's Library tech department. But I don't want to hand them a total POS that is going to cause more headaches then it's worth. I've read Tons of not so favorable posts but are people griping because they paid full price? I know I would be pretty ticked off if I had paid full price for this printer after reading some of the problems owners have had.https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1200_.jpg

I've read that their is a work around for using 3rd party filament but that was only for a certain firmware and still a bit of a hassle. I would love to see someone that has a work around that you remove the problematic filament cartridges altogether and mount a standard roll on its side.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank!!

I am am a Geomagic client. Their software range is amazing. The high end printers are amazing. Their scanners are amazing.

The Cube? Not so much. Run.

Engineer-in-Training
    Given that they still have not responded to multiple emails I sent them in regards to a cube *pro* for professional use, I wouldn't suggest them to anyone. It's been months now. They lost my potential buy weeks ago.

I totally agree! I wouldn't give a company $2000 that doesn't answer questions after 2+ weeks. But I'm wondering is if any one has any first hand info on the Cube 3? For around the $200 mark just seems like a lot of machine for the money. But at the same time I don't want a $200 paper weight. Or be locked into way over priced and poorly made filament cartridges.

Engineer-in-Training
    I run a cube pro duo at work. Total piece of crap. S3D helps and gets around the filament issue and improved printing quality but my flash forge blows it away. When i have to make prototypes for shown machines i print them at home in the FF.

Student
    I just purchased a used Cube 3 printer. It's my first 3D Printer. It came with a lot of cartridges (some never used), as well as 4 tubes of the "print glue"

It did not come with the starter kit, which would have included the sandpaper, the plastic "manual gap setting" tool, the scraper, and the nozzle wipers.

I figure I can use painter's supplies from Lowes for the scraper (metal) and nozzle wiper (plastic) easily enough.

But what grit is best for the sandpaper?

And what thickness is the plastic for the gapping tool?

And not that I'm going to run out any time soon, but I've been reading that simple "Glue Sticks" are good to prep the platen surface?

Thanks in advance from a newbie.

(Cross-posted)