Close

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Technician
    PEt is ok, however the quality is probably another issue and it all depends what you need to print out. ABS is good for toys, and PLA for medical thnigs, Both are quite cheap, why bother?

Engineer-in-Training
    I only print long flat consumer products in black ABS, in an office. So low-oder, and low-warping, are priority.

Engineer-in-Training
    So a PET printer needs a fairly high temp hbp, but not necessarily an enclosure?

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DPBuser View Post
    So a PET printer needs a fairly high temp hbp, but not necessarily an enclosure?
    The temp required is not outside the range of my typical RepRap printer (Makerfarm i3). Both my .4mm JHead and .5mm Magma (neither are exotic heads) print at 245C nicely. I don't think they will go to 260C or higher but they are fine for Pet+ @ 245C. As for warping, I've had some issues. It's hit and miss and long, thin objects warp for me. Long and thin parts are a challenge anyway but beware, Pet+ can warp. It may not be as bad as ABS, but it can warp in certain situations.

I don't have a full high-tech enclosure but I do have foamcor sheets (lined with space blanket film) that I've cut and set around the printer making a box to keep drafts out. I tried to print a part 5 times and it warped 1/2" off of the bed every time. Finally using 65C for the bed I was able to reduce it but never eliminate it. Now I add tabs to the corners to trim off later. I'm now getting perfectly flat and warp-free prints of the part.

Here is a photo of the part with the tabs. I originally made them long enough so I could put clamps on them to further insure that they didn't' come up. But, @65C and using Aquanet as an adhesive, I'm getting good results. And, I haven't needed to clamp them down. The tabs are 2.5mm thick so they don't tear away from the part. I tried using a dozen rings of a skirt a few times but the part just pulled away from the skirt. These thicker tabs don't pull off.

Warp.jpg
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Hey Jim, you are the local PET+ expert. Ever glue any? What's a good adhesive for it?
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Engineer
    Yes i glue all my plastics with weld-on #4. Its not adhesive, just solvent. You can get it right in amazon with a needle applicator bottle. It works for everything, pla,abs,pet. Nylon is the only plastic you cant solvent bond.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Thanks Jim
    Bambu P1S/AMS

Technician
    For sure PET is a good alternative to ABS or Taulmans T-Glase, it is very glossy, almost equally and strong as ABS. Food safe to as someone mentioned! YES Correct, but for now the price is still not equal to PLA or ABS.

Engineer-in-Training
    Is T-Glase not PET also?

Engineer
    yes it is. there are many different varieties and t-glase is just one of them.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast