Close

3Doodler - Any good?

I know there is a ton of debate over whether or not the 3Doodler is actually a 3D printer or not. I would say it is NOT. However, nonetheless it is a pretty useable device that I feel can allow teenagers to learn how 3D printers (particularly extruding printers) work. I'm considering getting one of these for my 13 year old nephew, as he is very artistic and would absolutely love making 3D designs with it. However, I've heard that it is not meant for children because of the heating element. Has anyone used one? Can anyone tell me if a 13 year old would be able to safely use it? He's a bright boy.

Also can anyone say as to how well it actually works. In the demo videos it seems to work very easily and people can quickly learn how to make some really creative things.
    Derek

Tbh i would rather buy a 3D printer,

Everything you make with it will break with almost no force.

Technologist
    At 13 I don't see the safety concern being an issue. My mom bought me a soldering iron when I was 12... I was fine. But that being said, it's kind of neat, but it seems more of a toy to play with, a novelty, rather than anything else.

I think the 3Doodler makes a great tool, however as a tool for building, certainlynot. It's not as easy to make something as their Kickstarter project made it out to be. You have to be a pretty good artist to make most of those things they show.

It is fun to use though, and for the price you will get entertainment from the device. Just don't expect to make all sorts of crazy objects with it.

I have one, I think the kickstarter video might have over hyped it a bit. I think it might be cool for some art stuff or for a person that is not very technical. For a 13 year old kid I think its a great idea, anything to stay away from video games.

I just think it's funny how this thing gained so much popularity. It really is nothing more than a hot glue gun on steroids. I feel like you could just modify a hot glue gun, to heat at the correct temperatures, and adjust the nozzle to allow for the flow of filament, and tada, you'd have a 3Doodler.