Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Spam messages on this forum

Why can't the operators of this forum do anything about spam messages on this forum?

They could really cut down on the spam if the site owner wanted, but that would mean manually verifying new users, which (for whatever reasons) a lot of forum owners just don't want to do...

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by ssayer View Post
    They could really cut down on the spam if the site owner wanted, but that would mean manually verifying new users, which (for whatever reasons) a lot of forum owners just don't want to do...
    Yeah, but what's interesting is that 3DPrintBoard does appear to require first-post adjudication by a moderator in at least some of the subforums. Every now and then someone mentions this in the chatbox. For example, a new user just went through that in the QiDi printer subforum. Maybe the moderator in those subforums set it up that way - IDK. I do find it interesting that the spam is always in the same handful of subforums.

Engineer-in-Training
    Are there 3D printing forums similar to this one? The subject of the spam messages are misleading. The messages usually have links to videos.

Then again, there is always the possibility that the site owner is getting a kickback on the "pay-per-click" from these spammers... JK

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I think the appointment of some new moderators has cut spam down considerably.
    Eddie

Engineer-in-Training
    Eddie, Thank you very much for solving the spam problem. A few days ago, I thought that someone hacked into this website to direct me to Ad.Fly website after vising this website. I hope that this problem is fixed.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    Eddie, Thank you very much for solving the spam problem. A few days ago, I thought that someone hacked into this website to direct me to Ad.Fly website after vising this website. I hope that this problem is fixed.
    Yes, that problem was fixed as well.

Eddie

The problem with having to moderate user's first posts is that a lot of times it turns the users off and they never return. We want to be as user friendly as possible, not cause a huge burden for moderators and also make it so that users can get their posts responded to ASAP rather than having to wait for mod approval. I think that we do a decent job removing spam for the most part, especially when people report the spam. Always feel free to hit the little report button if you see any spam messages.

Senior Engineer
    It would help if you removed the report time limit.

I don't mind reporting it with the button but I'm not waiting a minute between each report, it would take all day so I just report the one until next time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast